Car Insurance in New Mexico
1. FAST 2. COMPARE 3. $AVE Fill out a quote form about you and your vehicles Instantly get free quotes from top car insurance companies Choose from the lowest rate policies and save hundreds
Enter your Zip Code below to get a Free Quote. We suggest getting quotes from multiple companies to ensure you get the best rate. There is no obligation to purchase.
Car Insurance in New Mexico
As part of New Mexico’s financial responsibility laws, registered vehicles must be covered by car insurance. This is to help protect drivers from costly and unfortunate incidents.
New Mexico Car Insurance Requirements
New Mexico law requires you to carry liability car insurance to help cover costs associated with injuries or property damage resulting from car accidents you may cause.
Your liability insurance must have the following minimum coverage limits per accident:
- $25,000 for injury or death, per person.
- $50,000 for total injury or death if multiple people are hurt in the accident.
- $10,000 for property damage.
In addition to having liability coverage, you might want to consider other types of car insurance coverage to give you more protection in the event of an accident.
Most car insurance companies offer the following optional types of coverage:
- Collision – This coverage will help pay for damages to your car after a traffic accident.
- Comprehensive – This will help you with damages to your car that result from several types of incidents that do not involve traffic accidents. Examples include water and fire damage.
- Medical payments – This will help cover your medical costs if you are injured in an accident.
- Towing and labor.
NOTE: Collision and comprehensive coverages are usually required as part of a car loan or lease agreement.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage will help pay for your expenses when you’ve been in a car accident with a driver who does not have car insurance, or whose car insurance amounts won’t adequately cover your costs.
Technically, New Mexico requires these car insurance coverages to be part of your policy. However, you do have the option to turn down uninsured/underinsured coverage and still be compliant with car insurance laws, but you must do so in writing.
Proof of Insurance
New Mexico uses an electronic database to monitor the car insurance status of all vehicles registered in the state.
It is the responsibility of your insurance carrier to report your car insurance status into the database.
If the database does not show that you are meeting New Mexico’s car insurance requirements, you will be sent a letter notifying you that you must work with your insurance company to have your car insurance status updated in the database.
If you do not have insurance or you do not comply with your warning letter, you face suspension of your registration.
Reinstate Your Registration
If your registration has been suspended due to a car insurance violation, you must:
- Obtain valid car insurance.
- Have your carrier update your information to the database.
Once your information has been updated, you will have to pay a $30 reinstatement fee.
New Mexico Motor Vehicle Insurance Plan
Although all registered vehicles must be insured in New Mexico, some drivers might find it difficult to find a car insurance company willing to provide them coverage because of their driving or claims history.
The New Mexico Motor Vehicle Insurance Plan is a program meant to help high-risk drivers obtain the legally required auto insurance.
Along with several other states’ plans, New Mexico’s plan is part of the Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans (WAAIP). To apply to New Mexico’s plan, contact WAAIP at (415) 765-6767 and they will assist you in finding car insurance.
Because car insurance can be a complicated and sometimes highly sensitive issue, New Mexico’s Office of Superintendent of Insurance provides consumer assistance.
If you are having a dispute with your car insurance company, you can:
- Call the Consumer Assistance Bureau at (505) 827-4601.
- File a complaint online.
Determining Your Car Insurance Rates
Several factors go into determining the price of your premium.
While shopping for New Mexico car insurance, keep in mind that the following will often factor into your rates:
- Your driving record.
- Your car’s:
- Your credit score.
- This is the out-of-pocket amount you are responsible for towards a claim.
- Higher deductibles mean lower premiums.
Car Insurance Discounts
A great way to save on NM car insurance is to take advantage of discounts that may be offered to you.
When comparing car insurance quotes, inquire about these common discounts:
- Good driver.
- Good student.
- Safety device.
While discounts can help you save on car insurance, the best way to obtain low-cost car insurance in New Mexico is to maintain a driving record that reflects safe and violation-free driving.Choose a State:
Find Auto Insurance in New Mexico
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
Insurance Resource Center
- Shop For Insurance Online
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Insuring My Teen Driver: FAQs
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Auto Insurance Coverages
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
- DUI Costs and Car Insurance
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- New Mexico Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
- New Mexico Motorcycle Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- Six Common Car Insurance Myths
- Penalties For Driving Without Insurance
- No-Fault Insurance and Fault Insurance
- Car Insurance Quotes vs. Calculators
- Car Insurance FAQs
- Car Insurance Statute of Limitations
- Why Car Insurance Rates Go Up After Accidents
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims
- Damaging Your Own Property and Car Insurance Coverage
- Fraud and Theft
- Old Cars: Popular Targets of Theft
- Car Insurance Fraud 101
- Car Theft Prevention
- Most Stolen Cars and Other Vehicles
- Cities With the Highest Car Theft Rates