Paperwork When Selling a Car in New MexicoCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
- Fill out a bill of sale if the certificate of title is either lost or all of the reassignment boxes have been filled out already. Regardless, it is good to have a bill of sale simply to note the agreed-upon price. Both parties must sign.
- Sign the title over to the buyer.
- Remove the license plates from the vehicle being sold.
- Provide an Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form MVD10187), if necessary, or if the space is already filled out on the title.
If the title is lost, the seller should apply for a duplicate title before attempting to sell the car. Call the title information line at (888) 683-4636 for details.
You will have 30 days from the sale date of the vehicle to either register the removed plates on a new vehicle or drop them off at a Motor Vehicle Division office for termination.
A bill of sale is only needed in certain cases (see Steps to Selling Your Car above). Although it's always good, regardless of the situation, to have one for your records. You can easily download a copy from our Bill of Sale page.True or False
Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.