Boat Registration and Licenses in New Mexico
Renew Your California Boat Registration Today!
Official California Boat Registration & Stickers Issued.
Overnight Delivery Available.
Renew your California Boat Registration online and Cartagz will instantly issue your official California registration and stickers.
California Boat Registration Online with CarTagz
- Saves you a trip to the DMV
- Helps you avoid late fees
- Offers next business day delivery
- Does not require a renewal notice
- Same Day E-Copy of Your New Registration Card.
Approved and contracted by the state, Cartagz provides a quick and easy alternative to standing in long lines at the DMV. For $29 (plus DMV fees), you can painlessly renew your registration in just a few simple steps.Page Overview
Boat Registration and Licensing in New Mexico
If you recently purchased a new or used boat, you're going to need to head over to your local Motor Vehicle Division office to get it registered and titled before you're able to cruise legally on public waters.
On this page, you'll find a range of information about registering a boat in NM, renewing boat registration, and applying for a duplicate copy of your boat registration document. Scroll to the very bottom of the page if you need to get a boat insurance quote.
All motorboats and sailboats.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoe.
- Non-motorized kayak.
- Windsurf boards.
- Any boat registered in another state and not kept in New Mexico for more than 90 consecutive days.
You must register your boat in person at your local NM MVD office. To proceed, you're going to need to:
- Call the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office you plan on visiting and ask whether they require to see the boat. Each office will vary on this requirement. You may want to contact them first before visiting their offices.
- Bring the bill of sale and proof of identity.
- Pay all applicable fees. See below.
The fees you're required to pay in order to register your boat in New Mexico will vary by length:
- Class A (less than 16 ft): $28.50.
- Class 1 (16 ft to 26 ft): $36.
- Class 2 (26 ft to 40 ft): $43.50.
- Class 3 (40 ft to 65 ft): $51.
- Longer than 65 ft: $66.
- Title: $10.
- Excise Tax (5% of the sales price) assessed only on boats 10 ft long or longer with motors or sails.
Renewals and Replacements
Boat registrations in New Mexico are valid for 3 years.
Renew in Person
To renew your NM boat registration in person, you'll have to visit any MVD location.
Renew by Mail
You can also renew your boat registration by mail. You'll need to send to:
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division
- Joseph Montoya Building
- P.O. Box 1028
- 1100 South St. Francis Drive
- Santa Fe, NM 87504
Unfortunately, you are online boat registration renewal is not available in New Mexico.
Replace Lost Registration
If you lose or damage your boat registration document, you can apply for a replacement copy at any MVD office with valid identification and the $5 fee.
All boat operators born on or after January 1, 1989 must complete a boat safety course approved by New Mexico State Parks, or pass the exam.
Online courses are offered by boaterexam.com
Despite not being required to carry boat insurance in New Mexico, it's a good idea to purchase an adequate policy in case you are involved in a boat crash.
To learn more about how to get a low boat insurance rate in NM, you can read our page about boat insurance.Other Topics in This Section