- Location: New Mexico
Boat Registration and Licenses in New MexicoGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
All motorboats and sailboats.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoe.
- Non-motorized kayak.
- Windsurf boards.
- Any boat registered in another state and not kept in New Mexico for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Call the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office you plan on visiting and ask whether they require to see the boat. Offices vary on this requirement.
- Bring the bill of sale and proof of identity.
- Pay all applicable fees.
All motorboats and sailboats 10 feet long and longer must also be titled within 30 days from the purchase date.
- Class A (less than 16 feet): $28.50
- Class 1 (longer than 16 feet but less than 26 feet): $36
- Class 2 (26 feet or longer but less than 40 feet): $43.50
- Class 3 (40 feet or longer but less than 65 feet): $51
- Longer than 65 feet: $66
- Title: $10
- Excise Tax (5% of the sales price) assessed only on boats 10 feet long or longer with motors or sails.
Boat registrations are valid for three years.
Renew in Person
Visit any MVD location.
Renew by Mail
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division
- Joseph Montoya Building
- P.O. Box 1028
- 1100 South St. Francis Drive
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504
Replace Lost Registration
Visit any MVD office with valid identification. Cost: $5
All boat operators born on or after January 1, 1989, must complete a boat safety course approved by New Mexico State Parks, or pass the exam.
Online courses are offered by BoaterExam.com.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel