Traffic Ticket Attorneys in New Jersey
Hiring a traffic ticket attorney can be an important part of your fight against a traffic ticket. Considering the several consequences of a traffic violation conviction, it's easy to understand the benefits of hiring a traffic ticket lawyer. Once you have decided to get an attorney's help, use our tips for hiring a traffic ticket lawyer.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
Fighting your ticket is another option you have for handling your traffic ticket. However, you don't have to go it alone; a traffic ticket attorney can be an invaluable support when fighting your ticket.
A traffic ticket attorney has the credentials and experience to effectively represent you in court.
A traffic ticket attorney can help you:
- Avoid fines or have them lowered.
- Get the charges against you dropped or reduced.
- Avoid points on your driving record.
- Avoid increases in you car insurance rates.
Perhaps the best way to understand the importance of having good legal representation is to learn more about the consequences of a traffic violation conviction.
In New Jersey traffic violation convictions can lead to:
- Points on your driving record.
- Driver's license suspensions.
- Increases in your car insurance rates.
Points and Surcharges
If you are convicted of a traffic violation in New Jersey, points will be added to your driving record.
An excess of points can lead to:
- A $150 surcharge for 6 points within 3 years.
- $25 for each additional point.
- Some serious violations will come with an automatic surcharge, regardless of points.
- Suspension of your driver's license if you get 12 points.
The following is a list of some common violations and their point values:
- Red light violation (failure to observe traffic signal) – 2 points.
- 0 points for a red light camera violation.
- Tailgating – 5 points.
- Improper passing – 4 points.
- Reckless driving – 5 points.
Your traffic ticket attorney can help you avoid points and surcharges.
Conviction of certain traffic violations can lead to the suspension of your driver's license.
Some of these violations include:
- Reckless driving.
- Being at fault for a fatal accident.
These are very serious charges. The expertise of a traffic ticket attorney may be necessary to fight them.
Car Insurance Rates
In order to legally drive in New Jersey, you must have car insurance. One of the several factors in determining your car insurance rate is your driving record.
Having a single traffic violation conviction on your driving record can increase your car insurance rates by hundreds of dollars per year.
Your traffic ticket attorney will work to keep your driving record clean so you can get the best car insurance rates possible.
Once you have decided to hire a traffic ticket attorney, use these following tips to help in your hiring process:
- Shop around – One of the best ways to hire the right attorney for you is to comparison shop.
- Stay local – Try hiring an attorney who works primarily in the area where your ticket was written. Knowledge of the local courts and its judges, as well as local law enforcement, can be a valuable asset to your case.
- Find trust – A lot is riding in the hands of your lawyer. Make sure you hire a traffic ticket attorney you can trust.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!