Special Licenses in New Jersey
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Special Driver's Licenses in New Jersey
If you want to drive heavy or large passenger vehicles, you may need to apply for a special license or endorsement with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC).
The type of license you hold will determine the maximum weight-class vehicle you can drive and the number of passengers you can carry.
On this page you'll find a general overview of some of the different license classes and endorsements available to you.
For information about obtaining a standard, noncommercial driver's license, please visit our pages on:
- Applying for a New License in New Jersey (Drivers 18+).
- Applying for a New License in New Jersey (Teen Drivers).
New Jersey Commercial Driver's License
A commercial driver's license (CDL) will allow you to drive heavy vehicles and transport large numbers of passengers. For information about applying for a commercial license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in New Jersey page.
School Bus Drivers
If you want to drive a school bus in New Jersey, you will need "P" and "S" endorsements. To obtain these endorsements, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old (for intrastate use).
- Be at least 21 years old with 3 years of driving experience.
- Have 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without corrective lenses.
- Have 70 degree peripheral vision in each eye.
- Be able to distinguish the colors red, green, and amber.
- Pass a federal background check.
- Pass a state criminal background check.
- Be fingerprinted.
- Submit a Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination (Form 649-F).
- Submit a declaration flyer (Form DR-14).
For more information, please contact the New Jersey MVC.
Each town and city mandates its own taxi driver requirements. Consult your local government offices for appropriate forms and regulations.
You may need to:
- Maintain a clean driving record.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Pay a taxi licensing fee.
- Become certified as a taxi driver.
To be a chauffeur driver in New Jersey:
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must pass a criminal history background check.
- You must pass a drug test.
- You must have no prior convictions for aggravated assault, burglary, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, or possession or sale of a controlled dangerous substance, among other disqualifying crimes.
- You must have your employer complete a Limousine Driver Employer Application (Form CDL-5).
- You must complete a New Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form (Form IDG_NJAPP) and then arrange for a fingerprint appointment. You can pay the $50.70 fee when making the appointment. Have a credit or debit card handy.
Certain sport vehicles/off-road vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in New Jersey page.
Motorboats or Jet Skis
This pertains to recreational vehicles operated on fresh, non-tidal waters such as lakes, creeks and rivers.
- You must be at least 16 years old. If you're younger than 17 years old, you'll need a letter of consent from your parent or guardian.
- You must provide proof you completed a boating safety course.
- You must pass the Six Point ID Verification.
- You must pay the $18 license fee.
Questions? Check out New Jersey's Boating Safety Manual.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.