- Location: New Jersey
Special Licenses in New JerseyPage Overview
You will need "P" and "S" endorsements. To obtain these endorsements, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old with three years of driving experience.
- Have 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without corrective lenses.
- Have 70 degree peripheral vision in each eye.
- Be able to distinguish the colors red, green and amber.
- Pass a federal background check.
- Pass a state criminal background check.
- Be fingerprinted.
- Submit a physical examination form.
- Submit a declaration flyer.
- To operate a shuttle bus or van that transports eight to 15 passengers, you need a commercial driver's license (CDL) and a "P" endorsement.
- To operate a shuttle bus or van that carries 16 passengers or more (including the driver), you need a CDL along with "P" and "S" endorsements.
- You do not need a special license or special endorsements if you operate a shuttle van or bus that carries less than eight passengers, including the driver.
Each town and city mandates its own taxi driver requirements. Consult your local government offices for appropriate forms and regulations.
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must pass a criminal history background check.
- You must pass a drug test.
- You must have no prior convictions for aggravated assault, burglary, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, and possession or sale of a controlled dangerous substance, among other disqualifying crimes.
- You must have your employer complete a limousine driver employer application.
- You must complete a fingerprint application and then arrange for a fingerprint appointment. You can pay the $73.25 fee when making the appointment. Have a credit or debit card handy.
Motorboats or Jet Skis
This pertains to recreational vehicles operated on fresh, non-tidal waters such as lakes, creeks and rivers.
- You must be at least 16. If you're younger than 17, you'll need a letter of consent from a parent or guardian.
- You must provide proof you completed a boating safety course.
- You must pass the Six Point ID Verification.
- You must pay a $24 license fee.
Questions? Check out New Jersey's Boating Safety Manual.Other Topics in This SectionTrue or False
Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.