Safety Laws in New Jersey
Headlights must be turned on:
- From 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.
- In inclement weather, when visibility reduces to 500 feet or less.
- Whenever your windshield wipers are in use.
Modulating headlights are permitted during the daytime.
When riding at night, your bicycle must have:
- A front white light visible from at least 500 feet.
- A red rear light visible from at least 500 feet.
Helmets are required for all riders.
Helmets are required for all riders 16 and younger.
- The use of hand-held cell phones is prohibited while driving.
- School bus drivers can use cell phones only during emergencies.
- Any drivers younger than 21 who hold a graduated license permit or a provisional license are prohibited from using a hands-free cell phone.
- Text messaging while driving is illegal.
- Kids 8 years old and younger who weigh less than 80 pounds must ride in the backseat properly secured in a child safety seat or booster. If the vehicle does not have a backseat, the child may ride in the front while properly secured in an appropriate seat.
- Kids that are younger than eight, but weigh more than 80 pounds may be secured with a properly fastened seat belt.
- Kids between 8 years old and 18 years old must wear seat belts regardless of weight.
Call #77 (New Jersey's Aggressive Driver System) if you suspect a driver of being drunk or a road threat. Provide the driver's license plate number, vehicle make and model, location, and travel direction. Do not try to stop the vehicle on your own.
Dial 911 if you suspect an unattended child left in a vehicle is in danger from excessive heat or cold. Remain with the vehicle, if possible, until authorities arrive.
Call the local police department or animal control unit if you feel an unattended pet inside a vehicle is at risk.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.