Moving Out of State in New Jersey
New Jersey requires you to surrender inactive plates. You can surrender plates at any MVC location, but not at inspection centers.
A better approach might be to have your new registration and plates in hand, then cancel your New Jersey registration, and then mail your plates to:
- Motor Vehicle Commission
- Customer Advocacy Office
- P.O. Box 403
- Trenton, NJ 08666
Make sure to keep the receipt. You'll need this to prove cancellation if you continue to get billed by the MVC in error.
- Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 and 60 days.
- Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
- Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
- Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title is rarely mandatory. You will need an updated title, however, if you ever sell your vehicle.
- Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.