Moving Out of State in New JerseyCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
New Jersey requires you to surrender inactive plates. You can surrender plates at any MVC location, but not at inspection centers.
A better approach might be to have your new registration and plates in hand, then cancel your New Jersey registration, and then mail your plates to:
- Motor Vehicle Commission
- Customer Advocacy Office
- P.O. Box 403
- Trenton, New Jersey 08666
Make sure to keep the receipt. You'll need this to prove cancellation if you continue to get billed by the MVC in error.
- Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 and 60 days.
- Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
- Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
- Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title is rarely mandatory. You will need an updated title, however, if you ever sell your vehicle.
True or False
- Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.