Online Services in New Jersey
- Online Driver Services:
- Most Common Driver Services (online and otherwise)
- New Jersey Driver's License Testing and Educational Services
- Reports and Records for Individuals
- Other New Jersey Online Services
- Online Vehicle Services:
- Most Common Vehicle Services
- Vehicle Insurance Services
- Vehicle Buying and Selling Services
If a trip to the state motor vehicle office sounds about as much fun as rush hour traffic on the NJ Turnpike, check out our list of online services. You might be able to take care of driver- and vehicle-related tasks from your home computer.
Typically, driver services are handled through the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC). We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. If you don't see the online service you need in the various sections below, you might have to visit a nearby NJ MVC office. You can also peruse DMV.org or the state site for specific details.
- Apply for a driver's license or driver's permit.
- Apply for a motorcycle license.
- Apply for a commercial driver's license.
- Renew your driver's license.
- Replace a lost or damaged driver's license.
- Pay a NJ license restoration fee.
- Apply for an ID card.
- Pay parking and traffic ticket fines.
- See your Surcharge record and make a Surcharge payment online.
- Change your address on file.
- Make a name change online with the state and beyond.
- Check inspection facility wait times online.
- Schedule a road test online with the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.
- Enroll in drivers education to prepare you for the permit or license test.
- Take drivers training to get behind-the-wheel practice.
- Take a NJ drivers license practice test.
- Take a NJ drivers permit practice test.
- Take a NJ commercial drivers license (CDL) practice test.
- Take a NJ motorcycle license practice test.
- Sign up for a drivers license prep course.
- Study a New Jersey Cheat Sheet and improve your chances for passing the written test.
- Enroll in a New Jersey defensive driving or traffic school course if you received a traffic ticket.
- Order a driving record to see your own driving history or that of another driver.
- Review criminal records.
- Run a background check.
- Obtain court records or public records.
- Order vital records such as a birth or death certificate, marriage or divorce records.
- Run a credit report and check your credit score instantly.
Vehicle services are handled through the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC). The following sections below list tasks you can take care of online. However, because options are limited, you still might need to visit a nearby NJ MVC office. To learn more on a given task, you can also refer to related pages on DMV.org and your state site.
- Schedule a state inspection online with the NJ MVC.
- Review vehicle inspection results.
- Register your vehicle for the first time in New Jersey.
- Renew a vehicle registration online.
- Replace a lost or damaged title or registration.
- Obtain New Jersey license plates.
- Order personalized NJ license plates.
- Order specialty license plates.
- Learn more on NJ smog check and emissions testing requirements.
Consult our Registration & Titling section if you don't see the online service you need; Our vehicle-related pages cover a multitude of topics so you can spend less time standing in line at an agency branch office.
Compare vehicle insurance rates to find the coverage in New Jersey that suits your needs and budget. If you don't see the type of insurance you need below, consult our Insurance Center. Here you can also learn more on state insurance requirements specific to the &State_Nickname&.
- Obtain a Bill of Sale.
- Order a vehicle history report for a used car, RV or motorcycle.
- Purchase an auto warranty.
- Get an auto loan.