Motorcycle License in New Jersey
Get answers, save time and pass your motorcycle written test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets also offers:
- Steps to getting your license
- 50 essential study-guide questions
- Traffic signs and signals
Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed.
You must be at least 17 years old to apply for a motorcycle permit.
To obtain a motorcycle permit and license:
- Visit any Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) Agency and complete the required application. Present the completed form, your current New Jersey license (if you have one), and proof of identity.
- Pay a $5 to fee to receive an examination permit. Study the Driver Manual, and Motorcycle Manual. These handbooks contain the rules and regulations you need to study for the written knowledge tests.
Once you have studied the manuals, present your permit at any Driver Testing Center to take the knowledge and vision tests. The permit is valid for 90 days.
You are free to ride once you have your permit. You must, however, abide by the following restrictions:
- No riding on state toll roads or limited-access highways
- No riding 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise
- No passengers
NOTE: Motorcycle permit holders are no longer required to have an accompanying rider.
Schedule your road test after you have held your permit a minimum of 20 days. Note that very few road test locations offer motorcycle road tests.
If you pass a Motorcycle Safety Education Program course, your road test will be waived. Otherwise, report to the Driver Testing Center as scheduled with a registered, insured motorcycle to take the road test. You must be accompanied by a licensed motorcycle operator.
If you pass the road test, take your permit and road test slip to any MVC Agency as soon as possible. There you will be issued a motorcycle license. A stand-alone motorcycle license costs $24.
You need to be licensed to ride a moped (motorized bicycle) in New Jersey. You must be at least 15 years old to obtain a moped permit, but this license not required if you already have a basic driver license, motorcycle license, or commercial driver license.
To obtain a moped permit and license:
- Visit any MVC Agency and complete an application for a moped permit form.
- Present the completed form and proof of ID as required under the verification system.
- Pay a $5 to fee to receive an examination permit.
Once you have studied the manuals, present your permit at any Driver Testing Center to take the written knowledge test and the vision test. After you complete them successfully, you'll be issued a permit for practice driving during daylight hours without supervision. Your moped permit is only valid for 45 days.
You may then schedule your road test online.
If you pass the road test, take the permit and road test slip to any MVC Agency as soon as possible to obtain a photo moped license for $6. Note that your moped license must be surrendered when you apply for a basic automobile license, which allows you to operate mopeds as well as cars.