Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Drivers with Disabilities in New Jersey

    The Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) will issue special license plates or placards to handicapped drivers or to those who transport them. These plates and placards allow the vehicles to be parked in specially reserved disabled parking spaces near building entrances, among other parking privileges. You'll need to carry a handicapped ID card for these plates and placards to be valid.

    Disabled Veteran (DV) license plates are different from regular handicapped plates and do not bestow disabled parking privileges.

    Disability License Plates

    If you are permanently disabled, you may apply for handicapped license plates for a vehicle you own or drive when you register it. The vehicle can also be owned by a family member who transports you.

    You must carry the special handicapped ID card, which will be issued when you apply for the disabled license plates. You must also be present in the vehicle, either as the driver or a passenger, in order to park in special handicapped spaces.

    Handicapped Parking Placards

    Instead of license plates, you can get a handicapped parking placard to hang from a vehicle's rearview mirror. Placards are available for both temporary and permanent disabilities.

    You can use the placard in any vehicle you are in, whether you own it or not. The placard allows you to transfer your disabled parking privileges from vehicle to vehicle (as long as you're in it). You will be issued only one placard.

    Display the placard from your vehicle's rear view mirror.

    How to Apply for a Permanent Placard

    Permanent placards and the accompanying ID cards are free, and you can complete the application process through the mail.

    First, call the MVC at (609) 292-6500 or (888) 486-3339 to request an application form. Your physician will need to complete the reverse side of the form certifying that you have a permanent disability. You will fill out the front of the form. Mail the application to the address on the form.

    Your placard and ID card will be sent to you. Permanent placards must be renewed every 3 years; a renewal form will be sent to you.

    How to Apply for a Temporary Placard

    Temporary placards have their own application. You will need to print and fill out an Application for a Temporary Placard (Form SP-68).

    You'll need your physician's certification on the form stating the expected length of your disability. A temporary placard may be valid for up to 6 months and can be renewed for an additional 6 months. While you'll apply for the placard from your police department, you'll pay the $4 fee to the MVC.

    Temporary Placards From Out of State

    Visitors to the state who have a valid temporary disability placard from their home state don't need to apply for one in New Jersey. If you're visiting, however, you'll still want to have a doctor's note with you in case a police officer questions you about your placard. Make sure to have your doctor indicate how long you'll need a handicap placard in case you have to show proof of your disability.

    Most other states―but not all―will honor temporary disability placards issued in New Jersey. Refer to our Drivers with Disabilities section for the state you plan to visit to find out whether you need to make additional arrangements before you travel.

    Other Topics in This Section