- Location: New Jersey
Paperwork When Selling a Car in New JerseyCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:Page Overview
Unless you're transferring your license plates to another vehicle, you'll need to remove them from the sold vehicle.
You'll also need to sign the back of the existing title and include the sale price and odometer reading. The signed-off title goes to the buyer.
As an added protection for you as the seller, you may want to also fill out a Bill of Sale. This will serve as your proof of sale, since the new owner will take the title with him or her.
A current registration isn't needed to sell a car. The buyer must register the car.
You're not allowed to sell a vehicle without a title. If it's misplaced, get a duplicate.
- Motor Vehicle Commission
- Customer Advocacy Agency
- P.O. Box 403
- Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0403
Upon surrendering, you'll receive a receipt. Be sure to file in a safe place.
Though not mandatory, it's always smart to have a bill of sale for your records. If needed, you can easily download a copy from our Bill of Sale page.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard