Boat Registration and Licenses in New JerseyGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
Any boat longer than 12 feet and all motor-powered vessels, regardless of length.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized inflatable devices.
- Non-motorized surfboards.
- Non-motorized dinghies.
- Non-motorized racing shells.
- Non-motorized canoes and kayaks.
- U.S. public vessels.
- Foreign vessels.
- Ship lifeboats.
- Non-motorized vessels restricted to small lakes and ponds on private property.
- Any racing vessel holding a New Jersey State Marine Police permit.
- Any vessel registered in another state or operating on New Jersey waters for fewer than 180 days.
- Visit any Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) office with proof of age and identification.
- Complete a boat registration application (Form BA-51).
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Less than 16 feet: $12
- 16 feet to less than 26 feet: $28
- $52: $52
- 40 feet to less than 65 feet: $80
- 65 feet or longer: $250
You can renew online using Visa, Discover, MasterCard or American Express.
Renew in Person
Visit any MVC office.
Replace Lost Registration
Visit any MVC office with valid identification. Cost: $5
A motorboat license is required for operation on non-tidal water. Keep in mind that a boat license is different than a boat safety certificate.
All power vessel operators, regardless of age, must hold a boating safety certificate from a state-approved program. State-approved classes are offered throughout New Jersey. For more information contact any MVC office.
Take a state-approved boat safety class through BOATER.exam.com. You can get immediate course information by clicking its link below.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸