DMV Appointments in New Jersey
The Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) offers an scheduling system to schedule your road skills test. Before you visit a branch office save yourself time by booking an appointment first. Please read the sections below for more details.
For all other driver and vehicle related services at the New Jersey MVC you must wait in line. Keep in mind not all tasks require an in-person visit to a branch office; find out which online services you can take care of from your own computer.
The New Jersey MVC offers an scheduling system to schedule, reschedule or cancel your road test. Before taking the road test you must pass the required vision and knowledge tests given without an appointment at any Driver Testing or Regional Service Center. If you wish, you may also schedule your road test at one of these facilities. But, please note that your road test will be performed at a Road Test Facility.
As soon as you pass the required knowledge and vision tests, an appointment can be made in person at a Driver Testing, Road Testing or Regional Service Center nearest you. If you need to cancel your appointment you must do so in person and you may reschedule at the same time.
Online inspection appointments are available only for the following locations:
- Cape May
- Washington (in Warren County)
You must make the appointment at least 1 business day in advance.
If you must pay a visit to your NJ MVC, go during low-traffic times. The following suggestions could save you time standing in line.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday