Replacing a Lost CDL in New Hampshire

Replace Right Away

Replacing a lost commercial driver's license (CDL) must be done quickly because without it you cannot prove your right to drive.

In New Hampshire, it is not required that you notify the police of your lost CDL; however, it is always a good idea to let the police know so they'll call you if your license is found and to protect your identity from theft.

As soon as possible, locate a Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office or substation and apply for a duplicate license. You can do this by downloading and completing the Application for a Commercial Driver's License (Form DSMV312) and indicating that you need a duplicate. The form is available online for download.


You need to show proof of identification, such as a company photo badge, social security card, marriage license, or passport; and proof of residency such as a utility bill recently postmarked with your name and address, a town clerk statement of residency, or a valid NH vehicle registration.


The fee for a duplicate CDL is $10; your picture will be taken and you'll leave with your duplicate the same day you apply. Note that your new CDL will have a blue bar designating the license as a duplicate.

Out of State

If you are out of state and can't visit a DMV office, you can write them at the Concord office and they will mail you a temporary CDL.

  • Department of Safety
  • New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles
  • 23 Hazen Drive
  • Concord, NH 03305

However, completing a New Hampshire Motor Carrier Unit roadside inspection with a temporary license might be problematic so you will want to replace the lost license as quickly as possible.

If the circumstances were unfortunate enough for you to lose more than your CDL, remember to replace your Medical Certification card required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, as well.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Replacing a Lost CDL in Another State?