Motorcycle License in New Hampshire

Motorcycle drivers enjoy traveling the New Hampshire roadways in the spring, summer, and fall. Motorcycles are very popular today because of the many attractive styles and the fuel efficiency.


To qualify for a motorcycle endorsement you must already have a New Hampshire operator's license.

If you are under 18 years old you must also prove you have taken a driver education course.

Learner Permit

Learner permits are issued to drivers so they can practice on the road during the daytime; learners can only drive sunrise to sunset and they cannot carry any passengers. The learner permit is $30 and expires in 45 days.


New Hampshire offers a very popular Motorcycle Rider Training Program. Classes are held across the state on many different dates―weekends and weekdays―because the Department of Safety (DOS) and Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV believes the training program produces safer motorcycle drivers. There are three classes:

  • Basic Rider Course: $155
  • Intermediate Rider Course: $60
  • Experienced Rider Course: $65

If you sign up for the Basic or Intermediate Rider Courses the DMV provides you with a motorcycle to train on. You must bring a helmet and the proper riding clothes, like long pants, gloves, and a jacket. For the Experienced Rider Course you must bring your own motorcycle.

Training is a great way to get comfortable with the equipment, traffic rules, and road skills. Accidents involving motorcycles are often fatal and learning safe driving habits must be your first priority.

Driver's who are under 18 years old must have a Motorcycle Safety Course Waiver and Indemnification (Form DSMV624) signed by their parent or guardian as part of enrollment.


Complete the Application for Driver's License (Form DSMV450) to add the motorcycle endorsement to your current driver's license. The form is available online using the free Adobe Reader. Any DMV substation will take your application, $30 application fee, and offer the road test.

Like all other transactions between you and the New Hampshire DMV, they may require you to show proof of age, identity, and residency. Plan to bring with you:

  • Photo ID.
  • Passport―if you have one.
  • Birth certificate―if age is a question.
  • Residency letter or utility bill postmarked and addressed to you.


Practice and preparation will pay off when you are asked to drive the motorcycle road course. The road course is designed to establish your ability to handle the motorcycle, stop, start, and turn.

Not every DMV substation offers motorcycle road testing every business day. If you have received a motorcycle learner permit you might get an appointment for the road test. Otherwise, you may need to make an appointment with the DMV substation to drive the road test course.

A benefit of finishing the Motorcycle Rider Training Program is that you will not have to take the road test because you have already proven you can handle the motorcycle.

There is a lot to study and think about when sharing the road with vehicles much bigger than your motorcycle; but there is no written knowledge test to add the endorsement or get a Special Motorcycle License. Still you will want to review the Driver's Manual and other motorcycle-related publications to refresh your understanding of traffic rules.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Motorcycle License in Another State?