Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements in New Hampshire
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
You don't have to carry vehicle liability insurance―or show any proof of financial responsibility―to drive your motorcycle within the state. At least, not initially.
But, the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may require you to take out a SR-22 liability policy if any of the following occur:
- Being involved in an accident.
- A conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Multiple reckless driving convictions.
- A traffic violation conviction that triggers a review.
Ways to Establish Financial Responsibility
If the DMV forces you to prove you're financially responsible enough to operate your cycle, you'll have only one way to comply: carrying acceptable levels of bodily injury and property damage SR-22 liability insurance. Most of the time, you must keep your policy active for three years, but that can vary depending on your situation.
Two-Wheeled Vehicles Defined
If you're unsure about whether your cycle is classified by the state as a motorcycle, call the DMV at (603) 271-2251.
Or, take a look at how the state defines the following:
- Moped/Scooter―A vehicle with an engine of 50 cubic centimeters or less that doesn't have more than two horsepower; it can't reach speeds of over 30 miles per hour on a flat surface, and can't shift.
If your bike exceeds these limits, it's likely considered to be motorcycle by the DMV.
Meeting the state's SR-22 insurance requirements means having at least the following protection:
- $25,000 of coverage for injuries or death occurring to one person in an accident.
- $50,000 of coverage for injuries or deaths occurring to more than one person in an accident.
- $25,000 of property damage coverage per accident.
Consider taking out a vehicle liability policy, even if you're not required to do so. Accidents can threaten your financial health, especially if you don't have an insurer to help carry the burden. Besides, when you're liable for an accident, the DMV can suspend your license if you can't pay for the injured party's property and medical bills.
Learn about the types of coverage available to you, and find out more about why carrying insurance can be a smart move.
How Coverage Affects Helmet Requirements
All motorcycle operators and passengers younger than 18 must wear some sort of approved safety headgear.
However, any financial responsibility requirements you may face won't be affected by whether you voluntarily wear a helmet.
Although your carrier automatically notifies the DMV if your coverage stops, you still need to keep your insurance certificate or identification card with you so that you can provide it when requested to do so.
What happens if you don't keep your insurance policy current, and have no proof of insurance?
You could face a license and registration suspension. To reinstate both, you'll have to show proof that you have the proper insurance, as well as pay any associated reinstatement fees.
In This SectionOther Topics in This Section
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Requirements
New Hampshire car insurance can be difficult to understand. Learn more about New Hampshire auto insurance requirements and options.
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
NH financial responsibility requirements for your moped, atv, scooter or motorcycle. Protect your bike and your liability in New Hampshire by purchasing motorcycle insurance.
- Commercial Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
Commercial vehicle insurance requirements in NH. Protect your rig or your fleet by maintaining proper financial responsibility on your commercial vehicles in New Hampshire.
- Penalties For Driving Without Insurance
Learn More On Penalties For Driving Without Insurance In Your State. No Insurance Violations Vary By State. Avoid Allowing You Car Insurance Policy To Lapse.
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims