Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Personal Injury in New Hampshire

    Accidents do happen―especially when motor vehicles are involved―and the Bureau of Financial Responsibility requires reporting on every accident where personal injury, fatalities, or property damage over $1,000 has occurred.

    So how do you know if you need to file the report? Determining personal injury isn't as obvious as you might think. Clearly, you are injured when you need help leaving the accident scene, have cuts, bruises, or broken bones.

    You might also be injured if you complain of nonspecific pain, nausea, or hysteria. Calling an ambulance or visiting the Emergency Room is a smart thing to do; let the doctor detect your injuries.

    Being involved in an accident can be very upsetting. You might be injured or someone in your car could be hurt. Perhaps you are okay but someone in the other car is hurt. Knowing what to do is important because accidents, attorneys, and medical care can be very expensive. Think through how you might handle an accident before you are part of one.

    Accident Forms

    The Bureau of Financial Responsibility requires the Motor Vehicle Accident Report (Form DSMV 400),  available using the free Adobe Reader, be completed and submitted within 15 days, for every accident involving personal injury. If a police officer was at the accident site and filed a report then you don't have to submit a separate one.

    The Bureau of Financial Responsibility will then generate a case number and track the accident to be sure the people involved, and their insurance companies, pay for the repairs and expenses.

    If you are driving a commercial vehicle and get in an accident, you might have your own accident form to complete for your employer and insurance carrier. If the commercial vehicle you drive is leased, they too might require an accident form.

    Auto Insurance

    In today's environment of expensive medical care and changing health insurance policies, personal injuries that result from auto accidents are likely to become the responsibility of the auto insurance industry.

    When someone is hurt in a motor vehicle accident, it is often the insurance who pays the medical costs, attorney fees, and vehicle repairs. In New Hampshire you are not required to carry automobile insurance.

    However, once you have been involved in an accident the DMV may ask you to buy liability insurance. You'll have to prove you bought it by filing a SR-22 with the Bureau of Financial Responsibility.

    Seek Legal Advice

    After an accident involving injury to you or someone in your car, it is a good idea to consult with an attorney specializing in personal injury cases to be sure you are not harmed financially, too. When your mind is on healing yourself or someone else, it might help to leave the financial worries with someone else who understands the process.

    Other Topics in This Section
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.