Types of Special License Plates in NebraskaPage OverviewSUMMARY: Nebraska Specialty License Plates
Several types of specialty license plates are available in Nebraska, from personalized tags to organizational license plates. For those who qualify, military plates and historic tags are also offered.
Keep reading for details about types of specialty license plates in Nebraska.
- Need application information? See Applying for Specialty Plates for complete details.
- Looking for disabled parking plates? Visit Disability Placards & Plates for more information.
Personalized license plates are available from the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Your custom tag message can have up to 7 characters (6 characters for motorcycle plates), and will have a required space.
Messages must meet the following criteria:
- Use only numbers and letters.
- CANNOT be the same as an existing plate number and must be available on the Online Specialty Plate System.
- CANNOT be considered offensive.
Fees for personalization are charged IN ADDITION to standard registration fees:
- Standard NE license plate: $40.
- Douglas, Lancaster, or Sarpy Counties plates: $40.
- Husker Spirit plate: $70.
Specialty plates are offered for several community-oriented organizations, including universities.
Anyone can order organizational plates, regardless of group membership or affiliation.
Current organizational plates available are the:
- Creighton University license plate.
- Friends of the Union Pacific RR Museum tag.
- NE Cattlement Research and Education Foundation plate.
These plates cost $70 PLUS regular registration fees. They CANNOT be personalized.
In December 2015, military plates will be available to residents who are currently or were previously in the U.S. armed forces. License plates will be offered for the:
- Air Force.
- Coast Guard.
- Marine Corps.
- National Guard.
You must sign up for the NE Veteran's Registry to be eligible for these plates.
The fee will be $5 annually. Personalization is available for $40 annually.
The Gold Star Plate
The Gold Star license plate is available to the immediate family members of a member of the United States military who died while serving.
Fees for Gold Star plates are $5 to order and renew. Personalized plates are available for a higher fee.
For more information about Gold Star plates, including eligibility, see the NE DMV website.
The Nebraska DMV offers several types of license plates for classic cars, antique vehicles, and other vehicles owned as collectors' items or to be exhibited.
Historic License Plates
Historic license plates are available for vehicles that are:
- At least 30 years old.
- Close to their original design and appearance.
NOTE: Vehicles with historic plates can be driven ONLY for exhibition or for test drives.
Trucks with historic plates CANNOT:
- Transport more than 1,000 lbs.
- Be used commercially.
The fee for a historical vehicle plate is:
- $70.60 for passenger vehicles.
- $67.30 for motorcycles.
Historic plates do not expire.
Vintage NE Plates
A vintage license plate is an authentic vintage plate in original condition or restored to its original condition.
To use a vintage plate:
- It must have been issued the year your vehicle was manufactured.
- Your vehicle must:
- Be at least 30 years old.
- Maintain its original appearance.
- Be used only for hobby or exhibition purposes.
You can use a vintage license plate on:
- Passenger vehicles.
- Farm vehicles.
- Commercial vehicles.
Vintage plates are $89 and don't expire.
Special Interest License Plates
A special interest license plate in Nebraska can be used on a vehicle that you own as a collector's item, restoration project, or hobby.
You CANNOT get a special interest plate for a:
- Vehicle used for regular transportation.
The special interest plate allows you to use the vehicle ONLY for display or exhibition purposes.
The fee for special interest plates that are personalized is $50 initially and annually. Special interest plates that Alpha/Numeric are also $50 initially and annually.
You can apply for an Amateur Radio plate IF you have a valid Amateur Radio Station License issued by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
This plate will have your official radio call letters and can be used on any of the following:
- Motor vehicle.
- Trailer, semitrailer, or cabin trailer.
The plate fee is $5 initially and annually, PLUS standard registration fees.
Related ContentRecommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section