Replacing a Lost CDL in Nebraska


It is against the law to operate a commercial vehicle without a valid Nebraska CDL in your possession. Therefore, you'll need to replace your lost or stolen CDL as soon as possible.

The process for replacing your lost or stolen CDL is the same as that for requesting a duplicate of any other Nebraska driver license. To obtain a replacement CDL, you'll need to present proof of identification to your nearest county official. Several forms of documents will be accepted, but they must show your full legal name, date of birth, and Social Security number. In addition, you must be able to provide the original document. Faxes or photocopies are not considered legal proof of your identity.

Out of State

If you are temporarily traveling or living outside of the state, you may request a replacement CDL by mailing a completed Application for Revision form to the following address:

  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Examining Division
  • P.O. Box 94789
  • Lincoln, NE 68509

There is an $13.50 fee to obtain a replacement for your lost or stolen CDL. You will not be required to retake the written exam or driving test to be issued a duplicate CDL.

Minimizing the Risk of Identity Theft

If your Nebraska CDL has been lost or stolen, you'll want to take a few precautions to avoid becoming a victim of identity theft. For example, the Nebraska DMV recommends that you report your lost or stolen license to local law enforcement and request that a "fraud alert" be placed on your credit report.

To learn more about identity theft related to the misuse of your driver license, call the Driver & Vehicle Records Division, Fraud Investigation Section at (402) 471-3790.

Find more CDL information at Applying for a New CDL, Renewing Your CDL, Commercial Driver Education, and Commercial Driver FAQs.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Replacing a Lost CDL in Another State?