Motorcycle License in Nebraska

In Nebraska, a motorcycle license is sometimes referred to as a Class M license. This license is necessary if you wish to legally operate a motorcycle on any Nebraska roads or highways.

Motorcycle License Eligibility

To receive a motorcycle license, you must be at least 17 years old and have held the provisional operator's permit for 1 year or more without accumulating more than 3 points on your driving record..

Applying for a Motorcycle License

Visit any DMV office with:

You will also be asked to:

  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pass knowledge and skill tests, if applicable (see Note below). To prepare for the written test, be sure to study the state's Motorcycle Operator Manual.
  • Pay all fees. If this is your first license, there will be a fee of $26.50. To add a Class M endorsement to your current Nebraska driver license you may be charged $7.50 If you already have a valid CDL, it will cost $12.50 to add a motorcycle endorsement to your license.

NOTE: Only certain DMV locations offer motorcycle skills testing. An appointment is necessary. Both the motorcycle written and skills tests will be waived if you complete a state-approved motorcycle safety training class.

Motorcycle Safety

Riding a motorcycle can be fun and exciting, but it's also very dangerous. The following tips can help you minimize the risk:

  • Wear the appropriate protective gear. According to Nebraska law, protective helmets are mandatory for all motorcycle drivers and passengers.
  • Don't carry unauthorized passengers. It's illegal for you to transport another person unless he/she is sitting on a permanent seat.
  • Keep both hands on the handlebars. Nebraska law prevents you from carrying any item that makes it difficult to you to keep both hands on the handlebars at all times.
  • Get the education you need. Enrolling in a motorcycle training program is the best way to make sure you have the skills to stay safe on the road.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Motorcycle License in Another State?