Name Change in Nebraska
Nebraska Name Change Package - $29.95
Miss Now Mrs's Name Change Packages automates the completion of the required forms to change your name in Nebraska. Simply complete a quick questionnaire, print out the forms and file them. It couldn't be easier.
Name Change Package
Includes Forms for:
- Drivers License
- Vehicle Title
- Voter Registration
- US Passport
- Bank Notification
- Credit Card Notification
- Insurance Notification
Continue reading this page for more information about changing your name with the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
One of the first things you should do after changing your name—whether it’s due to marriage, divorce, or other court order—is update your Social Security card.
You’ll need to provide the following documents to the Social Security Administration (SSA) either by mail or in person:
- Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your:
- U.S. citizenship (if not already on file) OR lawful presence in the U.S.
- Name change.
For more information about required documents, visit the SSA website. Make sure you select “Corrected” for the type of card.
Once your application has been processed and approved, you should receive your updated Social Security card in the mail within 10 business days.
Once you change your name, you must apply for a replacement Nebraska driver’s license or ID card within 60 days of the change.
You will need to visit your local NE DMV office in person with:
- Your current NE driver’s license or ID card.
- A completed New, Renewal, Duplicates and Replacements, Permit, Class O (Car), Class M (Motorcycle) and State ID Card Data Form (Form DMV 06-104).
- Proof of your name change, such as your:
- Marriage license/certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Court order.
- 2 documents proving your Nebraska address, if you have also moved or your address hasn’t been verified by the DMV before.
- See the NE DMV website for accepted documents.
- Payment for the replacement fee.
Your updated driver’s license or ID card will be mailed to you within 14 business days. You will be given a temporary driver’s license that you can use during this time.
To change your name on your car title and registration, you’ll need to visit your local Nebraska DMV office in person. You cannot change your name by mail or online.
You will likely need to bring:
- Your current certificate of title.
- Your registration document.
- Your NE driver’s license.
- Payment for the duplicate fees.
The NE Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may require you to complete a title transfer or simply apply for a duplicate certificate of title showing your new name. Contact the NE DMV directly for specific instructions.
To change your name in Nebraska, you’ll need to pay fees for duplicate documents.
- Driver’s license: $13.50.
- ID card: $13.50.
- Title transfer: $10.
- Duplicate title certificate: $14.
For more information about fees and accepted payment methods, contact the Nebraska DMV.
If you’ve changed your address in Nebraska, you must notify the NE DMV within 60 days of moving and apply for an updated driver’s license/ID card. You will need to submit proof of your new residence and payment for the duplicate card fee in person.
For more information, see our Change of Address in Nebraska page.