Car Insurance in Nebraska
1. FAST 2. COMPARE 3. $AVE Fill out a quote form about you and your vehicles Instantly get free quotes from top car insurance companies Choose from the lowest rate policies and save hundreds
Enter your Zip Code below to get a Free Quote. We suggest getting quotes from multiple companies to ensure you get the best rate. There is no obligation to purchase.
Nebraska Car Insurance
Nebraska requires you to have car insurance in order to help make sure that you can pay for costs when unfortunate incidents arise, such as car accidents. This focus on insurance has paid off. Nebraska is well below the national average for uninsured drivers.
Read more to learn all about Nebraska car insurance laws, how you can help keep car insurance fraud down, and how prices are determined within the state.
Nebraska Car Insurance Requirements
In order to be compliant with Nebraska’s car insurance laws, you must have liability insurance. This helps cover costs towards injury and property damage suffered by others in a car accident you cause.
In Nebraska, your car insurance policy must meet at least these following liability coverage minimums per accident:
- $25,000 for bodily injury, per person.
- $50,000 for total bodily injury if multiple people are hurt.
- $25,000 for property damage.
Some drivers may find that simply meeting the Nebraska car insurance minimum requirements does not protect them as completely as they would like. This is especially true when you consider that liability coverage does not help you pay for your own injuries or property damage.
Consider purchasing one or more of these common coverage types for more peace of mind:
- Collision – This will help you with costs from damages to your car after a traffic accident.
- Comprehensive – This will help you pay non-accident-related damages to your car, including those from weather events and fire.
- Medical payments – This will help you pay for your medical care if you are hurt in a car accident.
- Uninsured motorist – While Nebraska is not known for having a high rate of uninsured drivers, they are still on the road. This coverage will help pay for your costs after an accident with one of these uninsured drivers.
NOTE: Collision and comprehensive coverages are often required as part of a car loan or lease agreement.
Car Insurance Violations
In Nebraska, you are required to have proof of insurance with your car at all times. Proof of insurance is most commonly in the form of an insurance ID card issued to you by your car insurance company.
If you are caught driving without proof of insurance or without any car insurance at all, you face penalties that can include:
- Driver’s license suspension.
- License revocation.
- Assessment of violation points to your driving record.
Nebraska Automobile Insurance Plan
Car insurance companies have the right to deny coverage to drivers who pose an unnecessary risk to them. These drivers include those with poor driving histories or those who’ve file multiple accident claims.
As a way to guarantee that all drivers can obtain car insurance even if they have a high-risk status, Nebraska car insurance companies must participate in the Nebraska Automobile Insurance Plan.
Through the plan, car insurance companies within Nebraska share the risk of providing insurance to those who can’t find insurance on the open market.
You can apply to the plan through any licensed car insurance agent or company in the state. Note that rates through the plan are higher than average, so it’s best to do a thorough search for a provider before using this option.
Other Car Insurance Issues
The Nebraska Department of Insurance (NDOI) handles several issues involving car insurance. Two main issues the NDOI deals with are consumer complaints and insurance fraud.
If you have an issue with your car insurance company, the NDOI recommends that you attempt to resolve the issue directly with the company.
If you cannot resolve your issue with your car insurance company, you can file a complaint with the NDOI.
If you have supporting documents with your complaint, or your complaint involves a health or injury claim, you must print out a Consumer Affairs Division Complaint Questionnaire (Form DOI-4000) and mail it to:
Nebraska Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 82089
Lincoln, NE 68501
Otherwise, you can file your complaint online at the NDOI website.
Every year, insurance companies lose a lot of money due to insurance fraud. Consumers pay for these losses through increased premiums.
You can help fight insurance fraud by reporting suspected fraud to the NDOI.
Car insurance fraud often involves:
- Staging of car accidents.
- Falsifying or exaggerating injuries.
- Falsifying or exaggerating property damage.
You can report suspected car insurance fraud to the NDOI by downloading and completing a Suspected Fraudulent Claim Referral form and sending it by one of the following methods:
- By fax to (402) 471-8335.
- By mail to:
- Insurance Fraud Prevention Division
- P.O. Box 82089
- Lincoln, NE 68501
Determining Your Car Insurance Rates
There are several reasons why your NE car insurance premium costs what it costs.
When shopping for car insurance, keep in mind that the following may factor into your rates:
- Your driving record.
- Your car’s:
- Your credit history.
- Your zip code.
- Your age.
- Your gender.
- Your marital status.
- The chosen deductibles:
- This is the amount you have to pay towards a claim before your insurance will start paying out.
- The higher your deductible, the lower your premium.
One of the best ways to save on car insurance is to take advantage of discounts.
Some common car insurance discounts in Nebraska include:
- Good driver discount.
- Good student discount.
- Multi-policy discount.
- Anti-theft device discount.
- Safety device discount.
While discounts can save you money on car insurance, the best way to get low-cost car insurance is to keep a clean driving record.Choose a State:
Local Auto Insurance
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
Choose a County
- Box Butte
Insurance Resource Center
- Keya Paha
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims