Paperwork When Buying a Car in Nebraska

Buying a Used Car?

It's a Good Time to Compare Used Car Finance Options!

When buying a car in Nebraska, you'll need some paperwork in order to title and register the vehicle with the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you buy your car from a vehicle dealer, the paperwork will be handled for you. If you buy from a private seller, you and the seller will be responsible for the paperwork. You'll need some documents from the seller, and you'll need to head to the DMV to title and register the car in your name.

Keep reading for more information about the paperwork you need when you buy a car in Nebraska.

Paperwork for NE Car Buyers

When buying a car, you should get from the seller:

Both of you must sign these documents.

If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, the seller should give you a signed Odometer Disclosure Statement that certifies the mileage on the car. If the odometer reading cannot be determined, you must request that the title list the reading as either "Not Actual" or "Exceeds Mechanical Limits."

After buying the car, you'll have 30 days to register your vehicle. If you buy your car or truck from a dealership, the paperwork will be completed on your behalf. If not, you'll need to make a trip to the county treasurer's office to pay your fees, complete the title transfer, and show your proof of insurance.

Buying Without Paperwork

Although the seller doesn't need to provide the registration certificate to the buyer, ideally, you shouldn't buy a vehicle without a title. Have the seller apply for a duplicate title.

However, if you happen to buy a car without a title and can't provide a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), you might be able to apply for a bonded certificate of title.

Before you submit the completed Application for Bonded Certificate of Title for a Motor Vehicle and other paperwork and fees to the DMV (including a surety bond for 1.5 times the vehicle's value), you'll need to submit a completed Application for Copy of Vehicle Record and a $1 fee.

You might also need to complete and submit an Assigned ID Number Application if the vehicle doesn't have a vehicle identification number (VIN) plate.

You must also submit:

  • A Sheriff's Inspection Form (inspection fee is $10).
  • The $50 application fee.
  • The title fee.

Once you take care of the above, the Nebraska DMV provides a detailed outline for applying for a bonded title, and you can contact the Driver and Vehicle Records Division at (402) 471-3918.

Bill of Sale

A bill of sale is mandatory for registering and titling your vehicle. You can, if needed, easily download this necessary document from our Bill of Sale page.

Vehicle History Report

A Vehicle History Report is a valuable tool to give you detailed information about a vehicle's past, including accidents, damage, and other events like floods or theft. These reports are based on a car's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and also provide an estimated odometer reading that you can compare to the odometer.

To avoid problem vehicles, odometer fraud, and other issues that can arise when buy a used car, a Vehicle History Report is important.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Paperwork When Buying a Car in Another State?