- Location: North Dakota
Salvaged Vehicles in North DakotaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
North Dakota considers any vehicle that has been wrecked, destroyed or damaged by more than 75% of its retail value―as based on the National Automobile Dealers Association Official Used Car Guide―to be a salvaged vehicle.
Should this describe your vehicle, you must submit your title to the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) within 10 days. The Department will send you a salvage certificate of title in return.
If you decide to reconstruct your salvaged vehicle back to functioning status in order to obtain a regular certificate of title, you must send to NDDOT:
- A Certificate of Vehicle Inspection (Form SFN 2486) that must be signed by the examining Highway Patrol officer.
- An Application for Certificate of Title & Registration of a Vehicle (Form SFN 2872).
- The vehicle's salvage certificate of title.
- A check or money order for $5.
Once all of your papers are deemed in order, NDDOT will mail you a new certificate of title with a special notation indicating that damage disclosure information is on file.
If you lack a "mechanic's eye" you should think twice about purchasing a vehicle with a salvaged history. Even though the state takes stringent steps to protect the buyer, there are still some shady car dealers who will try to sell a salvaged vehicle under the guise of being mechanically fit. Salvaged cars can be made to look cosmetically new, making it easy to fool a prospective buyer into believing the engine and undercarriage are just as sound.
The state strongly recommends that you have an experienced mechanic examine any salvaged vehicle before signing a deal. A check by a company that specializes in running vehicle history reports can also be invaluable.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks