Registration Renewal in North Dakota
Vehicle Registration Renewal in North Dakota
Before your North Dakota vehicle registration expires, you must renew it with the ND Department of Transportation (DOT).
On this page you’ll find information about renewing your vehicle registration online, by mail, and in person.
ND Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice
The ND DOT will mail you a vehicle registration renewal notice, also known as a renewal invoice, before your registration expires. You will need this to renew your vehicle registration.
You must renew your vehicle registration on time, as the North Dakota DMV does not offer a grace period after it expires.
The month your vehicle registration expires depends on the date you bought your vehicle or the date your vehicle was first driven on public North Dakota highways.
You can sign up to receive registration renewal reminders by e-mail on the ND DOT website. You’ll need your:
- Registration invoice number, found on your renewal notice.
- North Dakota title number and license plate number, which you can find on your current vehicle registration.
NOTE: If you never received a renewal notice, contact the ND DOT at (701) 328-2725 to have one mailed to you.
Renew Your North Dakota Vehicle Registration
Up to 3 months before your vehicle registration expires, you can renew your ND car registration online, by mail, or in person.
NOTE: If your vehicle weighs 55,000 lbs. or more and is subject to heavy vehicle use tax, you must file a Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (IRS Form 2290) with the IRS and submit the stamped form to the ND DMV when you renew.
To renew your vehicle registration online, visit the NDDOT website and enter your:
- Invoice number, found on your renewal notice.
- Vehicle’s North Dakota title and license plate number, found on your current registration.
- Payment details. (See “Fees for ND Registration Renewal” below.)
After you complete your registration renewal, you should receive your new vehicle registration card and license plate stickers in the mail within 7 days.
By Mail & In Person
To renew your North Dakota vehicle registration by mail or in person you will need:
- Your signed registration renewal/vehicle information.
- Include your ND driver license number.
- Payment. (See “Fees for ND Registration Renewal” below.)
Take your signed renewal notice and payment to your local ND DMV office, or mail them to the address indicated on your notice.
If you need to make any changes to the information on your vehicle registration notice:
- Cross out the information to be changed.
- Include your new information.
- Return your entire notice.
NOTE: When you renew your registration in person, you will receive your new registration card and license plate stickers when your transaction is complete.
Fees for a ND Registration Renewal
ND DOT vehicle registration fees depend on your vehicle’s weight, class, and year it was first registered in the state.
To find your registration fees, refer to your renewal notice or check the following ND DOT fee charts:
- Passenger vehicle registration.
- Pick-up truck registration.
- Truck registration.
- Large truck registration.
- Farm truck registration.
- Motorcycle registration.
Accepted Payment Methods
For vehicle registration renewals completed online, the North Dakota DOT accepts payment by Discover, MasterCard, and VISA credit/debit cards.
For registration renewals by mail or in person, please refer to your renewal notice or contact your local ND DOT office for accepted payment methods.