Point Reduction in North Dakota
In North Dakota you have several ways to remove points from your driving record:
- Violation-free driving.
- Complete a state-approved defensive driving course for an automatic point reduction from your driving record.
- If you're cited for a violation with a minor penalty, you may choose to complete a defensive driving course in lieu of points being added to your driving record. You must notify the court when posting bond and provide a course completion certificate to the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT).
Typically, the defensive driving course option is only available once every year.
For more information, please visit our Defensive Driving in North Dakota page. You'll find more information about your enrollment options, course curriculum, and details about your course completion requirements.
Before enrolling, verify with the ND Department of Transportation (NDDOT) that the defensive driving course that you're considering is sanctioned. You will not receive credit if you provide a completion certificate from a program not recognized by the state.
Your course will likely contain information about topics including:
- North Dakota traffic laws.
- Alcohol/drug abuse, violations, and consequences.
- Sharing the road.
- Emergency situations on the highway.
- Defensive driving tips.
- Safe driving attitudes and behaviors.
- Accident avoidance.
Even if you are not eligible to take a defensive driving course to dismiss a traffic ticket or remove driving record points, completing a course may still be worthwhile. If you complete a defensive driving course/traffic school program voluntarily, you will not only gain some valuable driving knowledge, but you may also earn a car insurance discount.
Whatever your motivation for taking the course, upon completion, you will likely have gained additional safe driving skills and knowledge that will reduce your risk of violating traffic laws and causing accidents in the future.Other Topics in This Section