Motorcycle License in North Dakota

Before calling the Department of Transportation (NDDOT) for your motorcycle license exam, be sure you understand what is required. Consulting NDDOT's Motorcycle Operator Manual will serve as your best tutor. If you're computer-hesitant, you can visit any state Motor Vehicle office and pick up a manual for free. 


  • You must be a North Dakota resident at least 14 years old. (If 14 or 15 years old proof that you are enrolled in a motorcycle safety course)
  • As a motorcycle operator, North Dakota requires you to carry a regular driver's license with a Class M endorsement.

Applying for a Class M Permit

When you arrive at any Driver License site location you will be required to:

  • Furnish proper identification (see below).
  • Provide your Social Security number.
  • Pass an eye exam.
  • If you do not have a valid Class A, B, C or D North Dakota license you will be required to pass a regular driver's license (Class D) written test before being allowed to take the written exam for the Class M endorsement.
  • Pay $5 for each written test.

Proof of Identification

When applying you will need to furnish proof of identification (no photocopies). You'll need documents showing your current name and date of birth. NDDOT will accept the following:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Valid U.S. passport
  • Valid foreign passport with an I-94 card or an I-551 stamp
  • U.S. government-issued consular report of birth abroad
  • Military identification card or common access card
  • U.S. court order―with court seal―displaying legal name and date of birth

If you're an immigrant you will need to furnish:

  • I-551 resident alien or permanent resident card
  • I-688 temporary resident card
  • 1-688B, I-766 employment authorization card
  • N560 certificate of citizenship
  • N550 certificate of naturalization
  • I-94 card stamped refugee or asylee

If You Pass the Class M Written Exam

If you pass, you'll be issued a Class M permit, which will allow you to operate a motorcycle during daylight and without passengers.

The Road Test

Once you're ready to take the road exam (skills test), make an appointment with a Driver's License and Testing location and arrive with:

  • Your own motorcycle, which must pass a pre-test equipment inspection.
  • Your Class M permit.
  • Check or money order to pay a $5 test fee.

Applying for a Class M Endorsement

If you are 14 or 15 years old you must:

  • You must provide proof that you are enrolled in or have successfully graduated from a state-approved motorcycle safety course.
  • You must own a Class M permit for a minimum of 2 months before you'll be allowed to take the road test.
  • If you meet the both requirements, your road test requirement may be waived at the discretion of the state.

Other Information

  • Riders who are under 16 years old are limited to motorcycles with 250 cc engines or less.
  • If you are younger than 18 years old, NDDOT requires riding with a state-approved helmet.
  • Call the Driver's License and Testing location if there's inclement weather on the day of your exam. Depending on conditions, they may cancel your appointment and re-schedule your test for another day.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Motorcycle License in Another State?