Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Identification Cards in North Dakota

    Why Get an ID Card?

    Owning a North Dakota non-driver photo identification card gives you many benefits, especially during these times of heightened security. It can be used for checking into a hotel, boarding an airline, cashing a check, or renting a DVD.

    The process to obtain an North Dakota state identification card is fast and simple. Just visit any driver's license site with $8 and proper identification (see below). You'll then have your documents reviewed, have your photo snapped and receive an identification card.

    North Dakota ID Card Eligibility

    A North Dakota state ID is available to people who are residents of the state. This includes any person who has lived in the state for a minimum of 90 days. You must have proof of an current address in North Dakota.

    You can get an ID card at any age.

    If you wish to be identified as an organ donor on your ID card, you must:

    • Be at least 14 years old.
    • Sign the donor identification section on the application form.

    Apply for a ND ID Card

    You will have to go in person to a North Dakota Department of Transportation driver's license site to get a state photo ID. You do not need an appointment but it is a good idea to give yourself plenty of time to go through the process by arriving well before lunch or closing time.

    You will need to provide:

    • Proof of identification. See the section "Proof of Identification" below for more information.
    • Proof of ND residency.
    • Your Social Security number on the application.
    • The $8 fee IF you possess a North Dakota state driver's license.

    NOTE: You CANNOT use an out-of- state permit, license, or ID card for identification purposes.

    Proof of Identification

    You'll need proof of your current name and your date of birth. The following original documents are acceptable:

    • U.S. birth certificate.
    • Valid U.S. passport.
    • Valid foreign passport with an I-94 card or an I-551 stamp.
    • U.S. government-issued consular report of birth abroad.
    • Military identification card or common access card.
    • U.S. court order―with court seal―displaying legal name and date of birth.

    If you're an immigrant you will need to furnish:

    • I-551 resident alien or permanent resident card.
    • I-688 temporary resident card.
    • 1-688B, I-766 employment authorization card.
    • N560 certificate of citizenship.
    • N550 certificate of naturalization.
    • I-94 card stamped refugee or asylee.

    All documents must be originals. Copies, even certified photocopies, are not acceptable.


    You must renew your ID in person at your local driver's license site and pay the $8 renewal fee IF you already have a ND driver's license. If you do not have a driver's license, your renewal is free.

    Your new ID card will be mailed to your home address.

    Replacing an ID Card

    You must visit your local driver's License site in order to replace an ID card that has been stolen, lost or destroyed. Bring all the proper identification (described above) and either cash or check payable to Driver License Division to pay an $8 replacement fee.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.