Fight Traffic Ticket in North Dakota

SUMMARY: How to Fight a North Dakota Traffic Ticket

If you plan to fight your ND traffic ticket, you'll need to request a court hearing by mail. Be sure to respond within 14 days.

For additional information, refer to your ticket or contact the appropriate county or municipal court.

Continue reading this page to learn how to fight your North Dakota traffic ticket.

Fighting Your ND Traffic Ticket

In North Dakota, you have a couple plea options:

  • Guilty.
  • Not guilty.

Regardless of plea, you must enter it with the court within 14 days of the citation's issue date. If you've lost your ticket, check out our Lost Traffic Ticket page.

Pay Ticket
(Plead Guilty or No Contest)

Learn more about
paying your traffic ticket »

Fight Ticket
(Plead Not Guilty)

  • Contest traffic ticket via trial.
  • Choose to represent yourself or hire an attorney.
  • Possibly lose option to plea bargain for lesser penalties.
  • No penalties if found guilty, but must pay court/attorney fees.

Learn more by reading below.

What it Means to Fight Your ND Traffic Ticket

Pleading "not guilty" means fighting your North Dakota traffic ticket in court. This means:

  • You may represent yourself, or hire a traffic ticket lawyer.
  • The court may rule in your favor. Your bond will be returned, but you'll still be required to pay court fees and legal fees (if applicable).
  • The court may find you guilty. Your bond will not be returned and you'll also be required to pay court fees and legal fees (if applicable). Points will be assigned to your driving record, possibly leading to the suspension of your North Dakota driver's license.

Pleading Guilty

Paying a ND traffic ticket indicates to the court that you are waiving your right to a trial and admitting guilt. For more information, read our Paying Your Traffic Ticket page.

Avoid Being Issued a Warrant

Regardless of plea, you must post bond (North Dakota's term for "paying the ticket fine") within 14 days of the citation's issue date.

Failing to enter a plea may result in a suspended driver's license and a bench warrant being issued for your arrest.

Notify the ND Traffic Court

In North Dakota, you must post bond even when fighting your traffic ticket. You must notify the district court by mail.

When you post bond by mail, follow the instructions on the citation to indicate you want a hearing. The presiding court will then notify you of a hearing date.

Hire a North Dakota Traffic Ticket Attorney

Consider consulting a traffic ticket lawyer. You might discover that hiring legal counsel could improve your chances for a favorable verdict. Reduced charges or an outright dismissal may spare your driving record of points and your ND driver's license from suspension.

Prepare Your Case

If you opt against hiring a traffic ticket lawyer, you'll need to prepare a defense. This may require ordering your ND driving record, and interviewing and subpoenaing witnesses. Call the presiding traffic court if you have any questions about the proceedings.

Plead Your Case Before a Judge

After hearing both sides, the judge will issue a verdict. If found "not guilty," the court will return your bond. Otherwise, if found "guilty," the court will retain your bond, assign points to your driving record and, depending on the circumstances, possibly suspend or revoke your North Dakota driver's license.

Check Your ND Driving Record

Regardless of verdict, review your North Dakota driving record after the trial. Check for accuracy by verifying points and listed violations. An accumulation of traffic violations could lead to the loss of driving privileges and increased car insurance rates.

Shop for Better Auto Insurance Rates

Increased car insurance premiums usually coincide with traffic ticket convictions on your ND driving record. Avoid a rate increase by shopping for a new provider. Comparing car insurance rates online is a fast and convenient way for finding a coverage plan that fits your needs and budget.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Fight Traffic Ticket in Another State?