DUI Attorneys in North Dakota
If you were arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs in North Dakota, you may wish to seek the help of a DUI attorney. A DUI charge results in serious penalties, which a DUI attorney may be able to have reduced.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
On this page, you'll find information to help you hire a North Dakota DUI attorney.
Hiring a DUI Attorney in ND
It's a good idea to do some investigation prior to hiring a DUI lawyer. Read the tips below for some guidance on how to find the right one:
- Ask for recommendations. Start by asking people you know if they have ever worked with an outstanding DUI attorney.
- Find an attorney who specializes in DUI cases.
- Stay local. A DUI attorney who has extensive knowledge of North Dakota laws will be the most helpful to you.
- Talk to more than one DUI attorney. Initial consultations with lawyers are usually free, so call around and talk to multiple attorneys before making your final decision.
- Ask about fees. Find out how much you'll have to pay your attorney before you make the commitment.
Charges Handled by DUI Attorneys
In North Dakota, penalties you face for your DUI are based on the nature of your offense, age, and driving history. You can be charged for a DUI for:
- Refusing to submit to a BAC test.
- Driving with a alcohol content (AC) of 0.08% or higher.
- Driving with a AC of 0.04% or higher in a commercial vehicle.
- Driving with a AC 0.02% or more, if you're younger than 21 years old.
NOTE: You can still be charged with a DUI if you were under the legal limit if the officer finds you too intoxicated to drive.
How a DUI Attorney Can Help
After being charged with a DUI in North Dakota, you'll have to submit a plea in court. A DUI attorney help you determine how to plea as well as:
- Answer all of your questions.
- Represent you in court.
- Complete all necessary paperwork for the ND court.
- Prepare your case for the court process.
Your DUI case can be greatly simplified with the help of a DUI attorney and they can also plea bargain for a more favorable outcome.
Penalties for a North Dakota DUI
DWI convictions come with a wide range of consequences in North Dakota. Depending on the nature and circumstances of your DUI charge, you could face any or all of the following penalties:
- 1st offense: $500 (if BAC is below 0.16%).
- 2nd offense (within 7 years): $1,500.
- Driver's license suspension by the ND Department of Transportation:
- 1st offense: 91 days (if BAC is below 0.18%).
- 2nd offense (within 7 years): 365 days.
- SR-22 insurance filing.
- Completion of a ND sobriety program.
- Jail time.
NOTE: Refusing to submit to a blood, breath, urine, or on-site test could result in a driver's license revocation for up to 2 years.
In addition to paying your fines, you will also pay court costs and fees to reinstate your North Dakota driver's license.
For more information, visit our DUI in North Dakota page.
Need SR-22 Insurance?
Get the cheapest SR-22 Insurance rate comparing multiple providers.Call (315) 804-6915 for a Quote