Driver Handbook in North DakotaPage Overview
This page will help you find all the links you need to access the online driving manuals available in North Dakota.
One of the first steps of the driver’s license process is studying for the written knowledge exam by reading the ND Non-Commercial Driver's License Manual (also offered in Spanish and audio formats). You’ll learn about all the following topics and more:
- Rules of the road.
- ND driver’s license process and testing locations.
- Signs, signals, and road markings.
- Sharing the road with other vehicles and pedestrians.
- Filling out your supervised driving log.
- Registering your vehicle.
- Changing your address or name.
If you’re applying for your commercial driver's license (CDL) in North Dakota, you’ll need to get ready for the ND CDL written exam by studying the ND Commercial Driver's License Guide. The North Dakota DOT offers also offers the manual in audio format.
What’s in the ND Commercial Driver’s License Guide?
Reading the CDL handbook will help you learn more about:
- How to apply for your ND CDL.
- Additional requirements for class A, B, or C licenses.
- Transporting hazardous materials safely.
- Transporting cargo and passengers safely.
- Pre-trip vehicle inspections.
- The use of air brakes.
Also included in the CDL manual are study questions that you can use to test your knowledge. For more study questions, take an online CDL practice test.
When you apply for a ND motorcycle license, you’ll need to be familiar with the North Dakota Motorcycle Operator Manual (also offered in audio format). Topics include:
- How to obtain your motorcycle license in North Dakota.
- ND motorcycle skills test.
- Being in shape to ride a motorcycle.
- Basic vehicle control.
- Body position.
- Carrying passengers and cargo.
- Riding in a group safely.
Before taking the North Dakota DOT written test, you may also benefit from taking an online motorcycle practice test.
Browse through the ND Vehicle Code (part of the state’s Century Code) to learn more about laws concerning traffic, driver's licensing, vehicle registration/titling, and more.
The code may come in useful if you need to fight a traffic ticket or simply want to know more about traffic violations in North Dakota.Other Topics in This Section