Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Drivers with Disabilities in North Dakota

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    Drivers with Disabilities in North Dakota

    If you drive and have a disability in North Dakota, the Department of Transportation (NDDOT) issues handicapped license plates and permits under the term "mobility impaired."

    Before applying for a handicap license plate or placard, make sure you fit at least one of the following criteria:

    • You require the assistance of portable oxygen.
    • Due to cardiac, pulmonary, or vascular disease you cannot walk more than 200 feet without rest.
    • You have a forced expiratory volume of less than 1 liter per 1 second, or an arterial oxygen tension of less than 60 mm/Hg on room air while at rest and your condition is classified III or IV by standards of cardiac disease set by the American Heart Association.
    • You cannot walk more than 200 feet without assistance or rest due to an orthopedic or neurological medical condition.

    If you have questions about your specific disability or any of the qualifying conditions, you should contact your doctor for more information.

    Apply for a Mobility-Impaired Permit or Plate

    To apply for a mobility-impaired license plate or a permit to be hung from your vehicle's rearview mirror, you must complete an Application for Mobility-Impaired Parking Permit (Form SNF 02886); those forms can be picked up at any motor vehicle location or online. Be sure to have your physician complete the back of this application and certify your medical condition before returning to the motor vehicle location to submit.

    North Dakota Department of Transportation (DOT) disability parking permits are free but handicap license plates require a $5 fee.

    Depending on your circumstance (such as a broken leg, surgery recovery) you can also apply for a temporary disability permit. To do so, complete the Application for Mobility-Impaired Parking Permit (Form SNF 02886) and include a check for $3. Your temporary permit will be valid for 3 months.

    Mail the application and all appropriate fees to the address on the application.

    If you have any specific questions about your application process, please contact the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT).

    NOTE: If you wrongfully use someone else's disability parking placard or license plate, or if you provide false information on your application, you may face high fines and penalties.

    Traveling Out of State and Driving with a Disability

    The state does not issue travel parking placards to visitors or tourists. Only North Dakota residents can apply by completing a Application for Mobility-Impaired Parking Permit (Form SNF 02886).

    The state of North Dakota does, however, honor parking placards from other states and nations. So, if you're traveling from neighboring Canada or South Dakota, for example, with a valid mobility-impaired placard you can park in designated handicap spots without fear of being ticketed or towed. If you need more information about any regulations and traffic laws in North Dakota, please contact the Department of Transportation (DOT).

    To find out whether another state will honor your North Dakota disability parking placard or license plates, refer to our Driver's with Disabilities section for the state you will be visiting or contact that state's DMV agency.

    Other Topics in This Section