- Location: North Dakota
Defensive Driving in North Dakota
North Dakota drivers have several options for defensive driving courses, and the state advises that you check your local yellow pages for a driving school near you.
Defensive driving is a method of driving that minimizes the number of driving risks, using more advanced skills than just your basic training. When defensive driving techniques become part of your regular routine, you are alert to the conditions and hazards around you and have time enough to react suddenly if necessary.
Traffic schools in North Dakota are great places to learn defensive-driving techniques. In one of these courses, you'll learn many ways to drive defensively; below are just a few:
- Keep enough distance, in time and space, between you and other vehicles.
- Use headlights and windshield wipers as needed for conditions.
- Slow your speed when weather and road conditions are bad.
- Expect the worst from other drivers.
- Approach and drive through intersections with caution.
- Scan ahead at least 12 seconds to be alert for any hazards.
- Don't let yourself be distracted by cell phones, radios, electronics, or other passengers.
Be sure to check out DMV.org's North Dakota Traffic Schools page for a schedule and location near you, and learn how you might save some money!