- Location: North Dakota
Custom Built Car Registration in North DakotaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Before chasing down a custom-built car registration, be sure your vehicle fits North Dakota's definition of such a vehicle. According to the North Dakota Department of Transportation, (NDDOT) a custom-built car falls under the following category:
Street Rod: A modernized vehicle that was manufactured prior to 1949 and retains the original body configuration but contains interior upgrades like a new engine, new brakes, or a new suspension.
How to Register
- To register your street rod, you need to complete an Application for Certificate of Title and Registration of Vehicle. This all-encompassing form, which is used for every type of vehicle registration, can be easily downloaded or found at any North Dakota Motor Vehicle office, where you can also register the car.
- Be sure you record the vehicle identification number (VIN) on the application.
- You will also need to include a registration fee. The state employs a system based on number of registered years and vehicle weight. An online table provides a fee schedule. If you're still in doubt about what fee to pay, call NDDOT at (701) 328-2725.
Mail your application and fees to:
- North Dakota Department of Transportation
- Motor Vehicle Division
- 608 E. Boulevard Ave.
- Bismarck, ND 58505-0780
If all information is deemed to be correct, you should receive your registration in about three weeks.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks