- Location: North Carolina
Special Licenses in North Carolina
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have at least six months of driving experience.
- Hold either a Class B or Class C commercial driver's license (CDL).
- Have "P" and "S" endorsements.
- Have a School Bus Driver's Certificate.
You do not need a CDL if the shuttle van or bus you're driving is designed for 15 passengers or less.
License requirements are governed by each municipality.
North Carolina does not require a chauffeur's license.
All Terrain Vehicles (ATV)
All riders born on or after January 1, 1990 must complete an ATV safety course in order to legally operate an ATV in North Carolina.
Personal Watercrafts (PWC)
Other Topics in This Section
- Kids 14 or 15 years old can only operate a boat if they've completed a state-approved boating safety education course or if they're accompanied on board by anyone 18 or older.
- Kids 14 or under are not allowed to operate a PWC.