Special Licenses in North Carolina
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have at least 6 months of driving experience.
- Hold either a Class B or Class C commercial driver's license (CDL).
- Have "P" and "S" endorsements.
- Have a School Bus Driver's Certificate.
You do not need a CDL if the shuttle van or bus you're driving is designed for 15 passengers or less.
License requirements are governed by each municipality.
North Carolina does not require a chauffeur's license.
All Terrain Vehicles (ATV)
All riders born on or after January 1, 1990 must complete an ATV safety course in order to legally operate an ATV in North Carolina.
Personal Watercraft (PWC)
Other Topics in This SectionOrgan Donation Survey
- Kids 14 years old or older can only operate a boat if they've completed a state-approved boating safety education course or if they're accompanied on board by anyone 18 or older.
- Kids under 14 years old are not allowed to operate a PWC.
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸