Online Services in North Carolina
- Online Driver Services:
- Most Common Driver Services (online and otherwise)
- North Carolina Driver's License Testing and Educational Services
- Reports and Records for Individuals
- Other North Carolina Online Services
- Online Vehicle Services:
- Most Common Vehicle Services (online and otherwise)
- Vehicle Insurance Services
- Vehicle Buying and Selling Services
North Carolina residents don't always have to pay a visit to the state motor vehicle agency to take care of driving-related business. Check out the following list of online driver and vehicle services you can take care of from home.
Typically, driver services are handled through the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. If you don't see the online service you need in the various sections below, you might have to visit a nearby NC DMV office. You can also peruse DMV.org or the state site for specific details.
- Apply for a driver's license or driver's permit.
- Apply for a motorcycle license.
- Apply for a commercial driver's license.
- Order or file IFTA returns (for motor carriers).
- Renew your driver's license.
- Obtain a duplicate drivers license or ID card.
- Apply for an ID card.
- Take care of traffic tickets.
- Make a change of address.
- Make a name change online with the state and beyond.
Refer to our Drivers License & ID section if you don't see the online service you need; Our driver-related pages offer a wealth of information that can still save you some time.
- Enroll in drivers education to prepare you for the permit or license test.
- Take drivers training to get behind-the-wheel practice.
- Take a NC drivers license practice test.
- Take a NC drivers permit practice test.
- Take a NC commercial drivers license (CDL) practice test.
- Take a NC motorcycle license practice test.
- Sign up for a drivers license prep course.
- Study a North Carolina Cheat Sheet and improve your chances for passing the written test.
- Enroll in a North Carolina traffic school course if you received a traffic ticket.
Consult our Driver’s License Checklist for complete details on getting licensed in North Carolina.
- Order a driving record to see your own driving history or that of another driver.
- Review criminal records.
- Run a background check.
- Obtain court records or public records.
- Order vital records such as a birth or death certificate, marriage or divorce records.
- Run a credit report and check your credit score instantly.
Typically, vehicle services are handled through the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles. We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. Because options are limited, you still might need to visit a nearby NC DMV office. To learn more on a given task, you can also refer to related pages on DMV.org and your state site.
- Register your vehicle for the first time in North Carolina.
- Renew your North Carolina vehicle registration online.
- Get a copy of your NC vehicle registration.
- Replace a lost or damaged title or registration.
- Learn more on NC smog check and emissions testing requirements.
- Obtain North Carolina license plates.
- Order personalized NC license plates.
Consult our Registration & Titling section if you don't see the online service you need; Our vehicle-related pages cover a multitude of topics so you can spend less time standing in line at an agency branch office.
Compare vehicle insurance rates to find the coverage in North Carolina that suits your needs and budget. If you don't see the type of insurance you need below, consult our Insurance Center. Here you can also learn more on state insurance requirements specific to the &State_Nickname&.
- Pay auto insurance penalties in North Carolina.
- Buy car insurance.
- Buy motorcycle insurance.
- Buy commercial auto insurance.
- Buy boat insurance.
- Obtain a Bill of Sale.
- Order a vehicle history report for a used car, RV or motorcycle.
- Purchase an auto warranty.
- Get an auto loan.