Custom Built Car Registration in North Carolina
According to the Division of Motor Vehicles in North Carolina, a custom-built vehicle is one that is "completely reconstructed or assembled from new or used parts." Glider kits and custom-assembled vehicles also fall under the category of "custom built." Such a vehicle must be registered.
You should list the make as "custom built" and the year the vehicle was built should be listed under "year." When you register a custom-built vehicle, the title is branded "reconstructed."
Registering and titling a custom-built vehicle is not much different from titling any other motor vehicle. Registration and titling requires a visit to a vehicle and license plate renewal office and the following:
Other Topics in This Section
- An application for title, completed and signed in front of a notary.
- An Affidavit for Custom/Replica Built Vehicle (Form MVR-55), which is a notarized statement that describes the vehicle's assembly from new and used parts.
- An inspector's report, as this special type of vehicle must be inspected for safety and drivability.
- An odometer reading.
- A certificate of title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin for the frame, engine, and transmission (or an indemnity bond can be filed).
- A title fee of $40.
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Car Inspection
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸