- Location: North Carolina
Appointments in North Carolina
Appointments may be made at the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for driver license examinations only. Appointments may be made at most DMV offices. To schedule an appointment call or visit your local DMV office. When scheduling, keep in mind that all written tests must be completed by 4:30 p.m. and driving skills tests must begin by 4 p.m.
Not all tasks require an in-person visit to the NC DMV. Find out what you can take care of from your own computer by accessing our Online Services page.
If you must pay a visit to your DMV, go during low-traffic times. The following suggestions could save you time standing in line.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday