Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Plate Surrender in Montana

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    Surrendering your MT license plates only comes into play during certain title-transfer situations. Otherwise, you're welcome to keep your plates following an out-of-state move.

    Moving to Montana

    You must register your vehicle with your county treasurer within 60 days of establishing residency. You do not have to surrender your old plates, unless required by your former state.

    Before registering, decide if you want to go with standard plates or with one of the Montana’s many specialized plate designs.

    Our relocation guide provides a detailed look at Montana weather, culture and more.

    Moving from MT

    No surrendering of your Montana license plates after you move. You can keep them as souvenirs of your stay, or dispose of them as you wish. If you decide to destroy the plates, check if your new neighborhood offers license plate recycling.

    Need a moving checklist? Visit our Moving Out of Montana page.

    Selling a Used Car in Montana

    License plates stay with you, the owner. After agreeing to sell, be sure to remove the license plates. You can then transfer them to another vehicle under your name that’s properly registered with your county treasurer. If, at this time, you decide to go with a different plate design, you must surrender your old plates.

    Jump to our Title Transfers page for more details.

    Buying a Used Car in MT

    License plates do not come with the vehicle. They stay with the owner

    Our Vehicle Title Transfers page has the full scoop on buying.

    Other Topics in This Section