Motorcycle Registration in Montana

Just like cars and trucks, all street-legal motorcycles and quadricycles in Montana must be registered and titled. All payments and registration forms must go through your county treasurer. If you intend to use your motorcycle for both highway and off-highway, you will be required to pay for both distinctions.

If you're a new resident, you have a 60 day grace period before you must register and apply for a title. Nonresidents who earn their paycheck in Montana are required to register at a county treasurer office, but they are given the option of registering by the calendar month.

What to Bring

When registering, you will need:

  • either your previous year's registration or your renewal card notice.
  • the appropriate fee for your motorcycle (see below).

Registration Fees

  • Flat fee for street-legal use only: $53.25
  • Flat fee for both street-legal and off-highway use: $114.50
  • Motorcycle Safety Fee: $16
  • Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fund: $5

The Motorcycle Safety Fee goes directly into funding motorcycle safety training courses, whereas the Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fund assists the Highway Patrol in maintaining appropriate manpower numbers.

For questions contact:

  • Title and Registration Bureau
  • 1003 Buckskin Dr
  • Deer Lodge, MT 59722
  • (406) 444-3661

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Motorcycle Registration in Another State?