- Location: Montana
Motorcycle Registration in Montana
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
Just like cars and trucks, all street-legal motorcycles and quadricycles in Montana must be registered and titled, as stated in Montana Code Annotated 61-3-321. All payments and registration forms must go through your county treasurer. If you intend to use your motorcycle for both highway and off-highway, you will be required to pay for both distinctions.
If you're a new resident, you have a 60-day grace period before you must register and apply for a title. Nonresidents who earn their paycheck in Montana are required to register at a county treasurer office, but they are given the option of registering by the calendar month.
When registering, you will need:
- either your previous year's registration or your renewal card notice.
- the appropriate fee for your motorcycle (see fee chart below).
- Flat fee for street-legal use only: $53.25
- Flat fee for both street-legal and off-highway use: $114.50
- Motorcycle Safety Fee: $16
- Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fund: $5
- New Issue plate: $5
The Motorcycle Safety Fee goes directly into funding motorcycle safety training courses, whereas the Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fund assists the Highway Patrol in maintaining appropriate manpower numbers.
For questions contact:
- Title and Registration Bureau
- 1003 Buckskin Drive
- Deer Lodge, MT 59722
- (406) 846-6000