Motorcycle License in Montana

Any prospective motorcycle driver can apply for an endorsement at any statewide exam station. But before you can obtain a motorcycle endorsement, you must first apply for a Montana driver's license. Getting your hands on a Montana Driver License Manual is strongly encouraged for it will educate you on all you need to know about the state's driving rules and regulations.

To qualify for your first driver's license you must:

  • be at least 14 1/2 years old and have proof that you successfully completed a State-approved driver's education course. If you have not taken driver's ed you can still apply but only if you're 16 years old.
  • pass tests (written, driving, and vision)
  • furnish proof of identity.
  • provide solid evidence that you're a Montana resident.
  • have proof that you're a United States citizen or that you are legally cleared to be residing in the country.
  • pay the license fee

Driver Tests

Because there has been an increase of motorcycle accidents during the last decade involving new and inexperienced drivers, the motorcycle testing process is extensive. The examination is divided into: driving record review; physical aptitude review; and vision, written and skills tests.

The written test is extremely comprehensive. All questions are motorcycle related and are derived from information contained in the State's Motorcycle Supplement.

To take a motorcycle exam you must make an appointment at any driver exam station. Keep an eye on the weather. Road tests aren't allowed on wet roads.

If you fail the skills (road) test, all is not lost. You will still be issued a Motorcycle Learner's License that will allow you to operate a motorcycle―but only while under the immediate supervision of a licensed motorcycle driver.

NOTE: You can schedule a test appointment online for the following stations: Billings, Bozeman, Columbus, Glendive, Great Falls, Hardin, Helena, Miles City, Missoula, Red Lodge, Sidney, Superior and Townsend.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Motorcycle License in Another State?