Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements in Montana
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
As a state resident, you are not obligated to carry insurance on your motorcycle. However, protecting yourself with coverage is strongly encouraged.
Ways to Establish Financial Responsibility
If you opt for coverage, you can choose from the following options:
- Self-insurance. But to qualify you must have at least 26 vehicles registered under your name.
- Obtaining a surety bond with an authorized in-state broker.
- Making a $55,000 cash deposit with the State Treasurer. For information, call (406) 444-2032.
- Taking out liability insurance (detailed information below).
Two-Wheeled Vehicles Defined
If you're uncertain of the state's registration and insurance laws regarding two-wheeled vehicles, call the Title and Registration Bureau at (406) 846 - 6000.
Two-wheeled vehicles are defined as:
- Motorcycle―A motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for riding purposes, and that's designated to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
- Motor-Driven Cycle―A motorcycle with an engine that produces five-horsepower or less. Motor scooters fall under this category.
If you opt to purchase liability coverage for your motorcycle, you might want to take a look at the state's minimum requirements for private passenger vehicles as a guideline:
- $25,000 per person for bodily injury
- $50,000 per person per accident
- $10,000 for property damage
If you decide on insurance coverage, be sure to compare rates from as many providers as possible. Because rates vary, you should be able to find an affordable package without sacrificing any protection. And depending on your situation, you always have the option to maximize your insurance package with additional types of coverage.
How Coverage Affects Helmet Requirements
Riders younger than 18 must wear helmets. Because coverage is optional, there are no insurance discounts offered for helmet wearing.
If you do opt for insurance, it's always wise to carry proof when riding in the event of an accident. Acceptable forms of proof include:
- An insurance identification card issued by your carrier.
- A self-insurance certificate or card.
- A cash deposit note or certificate.
- A surety bond note or certificate.
As a motorcyclist, you're not required to maintain coverage; however, for curiosity's sake, here are the state penalties imposed upon drivers who dare to operate with no proof of insurance:
- First Offense:
- Five points added to driving record.
- A fine of up to $500.
- A possible jail sentence of up to 10 days.
- Second or Subsequent Offense:
- Automatic license suspension for 90 days.
- A minimum fine of $350.
- Possible jail sentence of up to 10 days.
In This Section
Other Topics in This Section
- Auto Insurance Requirements
Montana car insurance information center. What insurance to buy in Montana, how to decide, compare policies, purchase MT car insurance.
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
MT financial responsibility requirements for your moped, atv, scooter or motorcycle. Protect your bike and your liability in Montana by purchasing motorcycle insurance.
- Commercial Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
Commercial vehicle insurance requirements in MT. Protect your rig or your fleet by maintaining proper financial responsibility on your commercial vehicles in Montana.
- Penalties For Driving Without Insurance
Learn More On Penalties For Driving Without Insurance In Your State. No Insurance Violations Vary By State. Avoid Allowing You Car Insurance Policy To Lapse.
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims