Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Name Change in Montana

    Montana Name Change Package - $29.95

    Miss Now Mrs's Name Change Packages automates the completion of the required forms to change your name in Montana. Simply complete a quick questionnaire, print out the forms and file them. It couldn't be easier.

    Get Started

    Continue »

    Name Change Package
    Includes Forms for:

    • Drivers License
    • Vehicle Title
    • Registration
    • IRS
    • Voter Registration
    • US Passport
    • Bank Notification
    • Credit Card Notification
    • Insurance Notification

    Notify the State

    You will need to contact Montana's Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) if you change your name due to divorce, marriage, adoption or, even personal expression. Failure to alert the MVD can lead to potential legal hassles, should you be stopped by the police and your information does match with their files.

    Changing the Name on Your License or ID Card

    To change your name on your license or ID, provide a certified copy of one of the following:

    • A marriage certificate.
    • A court decree granting a name change.
    • A divorce decree or dissolution of marriage specifying the name change.
    • A United States Department certificate of naturalization that's issued to you in your new name.
    • A declaration of marriage filed with your respective county clerk.

    Bring whatever form of documented proof you possess to your local driver exam station. You'll be asked to complete a duplicate license application and pay a $10 fee.

    You do not need to present an updated Social Security card, but it's not a bad idea to affect that change as well. Visit Social Security Online for more information about the process.

    Changing the Name on Your Title

    Before changing your name on your title, make sure you change your license first. This way, the MVD will already have all of your information on file.

    To amend your title you must:

    You can do this in person at your local county treasurer's office.

    Changing the Name on Your Registration

    Registration updates will automatically take place when you make changes to your title (see above) with your local county treasurer.

    Other Topics in This Section