Dealer-related Information in Montana
Montana's Title and Registration Bureau serves as your prime source for gathering vehicle dealership information. You can call (406) 444-3661, or e-mail a Bureau clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Renewal applications along with the necessary fees must be submitted before December 31st of each year. Failure to renew a license means it will expire on the last day of February of the ensuing year. Renewal fees for all motorized road vehicles, including motorcycles, cost $25 along with a $5 application fee.
Demonstrator plates cost $5 each and can be obtained when first applying for a dealership application or during annual renewal. These plates can only be used under the following conditions:
- The vehicle is being tested for repair.
- The vehicle is being transported to or from a dealer's place of business for sale.
- The vehicle is being moved to or from exhibitions within Montana, provided the exhibition does not exceed 20 days.
- The vehicle is being shuffled to or from a repair center prior to being sold.
- To demonstrate, for no longer than 72 hours, a vehicle is held for sale when operated by an individual holding a valid driver's license.
- The vehicle is owned by a dealership when driven by an officer or full-time employee of the dealership to transport the dealer's own tools, parts, and equipment.
Courtesy plates cost $150 per pair and can only be used on vehicles that the dealer loans without cost for religious, charitable, scientific, or educational purposes. The plates cannot be used on one specific vehicle for more than 30 days. As a dealer, you will be asked to maintain detailed records regarding to whom you loaned the vehicle to, the date of the loan, and the date the loaned vehicle is to be returned.
As a dealer, you will be required to maintain meticulous sales records. These must include:
Other Topics in This Section
- Name and address of seller and purchaser.
- The vehicle's engine number, maker number, and chassis number.
- A statement, if it applies, that any identification numbers have been altered or obliterated.
- A certificate of vehicle ownership from the time of vehicle delivery to the time it is sold.