Dealer Licensing in Montana
Montana requires a dealer's license if you attempt to sell a new or used vehicle that is not registered in your name; regardless if you are only selling one vehicle, you still must obtain this license. And even then, that license must be specific to the vehicle type(s) you are selling.
- New Motor Vehicles: cars, trucks, buses, and light vehicles
- Used Motor Vehicles: cars, trucks, buses, and light vehicles
- New Recreational Vehicles: motor homes and travel trailers
- Used Recreational Vehicles: motor homes and travel trailers
- Trailers: semi-trailers and pole trailers
- New or Used Motorcycles: motorcycles and quadricycles
To apply, you must submit an application to the Motor Vehicle Division's Title and Registration Bureau in Deer Lodge (see below for contact information). All information on your application must be verifiable. Failure to provide this information will prolong the processing and/or result in rejection. All dealership licenses are good for one year with an annual $30 renewal fee.
When submitting an application you must include:
- Your business name and the personal information of every person who has a stake in the ownership of your proposed dealership.
- Contact information of your insurance carrier and of your local insurance agent.
- The geographic location(s) of where you intend to sell as well as verification that you have complied with all applicable zoning, planning, and business codes. (More detailed information included below.)
- A diagram or plan displaying the geographic location, lot dimensions, and building and sign placements, along with two or more photos of each.
- Proof of dealership certification.
- A $30 application fee.
- A $50,000 bond for dealership licenses covering new and used cars, trucks, trailers, and motor homes. Or a $15,000 bond for a motorcycle dealer's license.
This is defined as the actual location of your vehicle display lot(s) and nonresidential dealership office used for the storing of transaction records. You are allowed more than one location for displaying your vehicles as long as each lot does not exceed 200 feet and that the distance between each lot is within 1,000 feet of the building from which you file your transaction records.
- Title and Registration Bureau
- Motor Vehicle Division
- Montana Department of Justice
- 1003 Buckskin Drive
- Deer Lodge, Montana 59722
- (406) 846-6000
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.