- Location: Montana
Boat Registration and Licenses in MontanaGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
- Motorboats (including motorized canoes and rubber rafts).
- Sailboats 12 ft long and longer.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized sailboat less than12 ft in length.
- Government-owned boats.
- Registered boats from another state or country that are not kept in Montana for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Complete any applicable forms.
- Mail it along with the fees (title, registration, fee-in-lieu of tax) to your county treasurer's office.
- Obtain two free validation decals from any Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks office, or by ordering online.
- Certificate of Ownership, or Title: $10
- Less than 16 ft: $65.50.
- 16 ft to 19 ft: $125.50.
- 19 ft and longer: $295.50.
All boat registrations are permanent. You must, however, renew your boat's free validation decals upon expiration. These can be obtained from any Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks office or by ordering online.
Renew by Mail
Mail renewal notification to your county treasurer's office.
Renew in Person
Visit your county treasurer's office with your renewal notification.
Replace Lost Registration
Take your boat's registration number to the county treasurer.
Teenagers 13 to 14 years old need a valid Montana motorboat operator's safety certificate to operate a boat without adult supervision.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks