Boat Registration and Licenses in Montana
Get Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:
- Motorboats (including motorized canoes and rubber rafts).
- Sailboats 12 feet long and longer.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized sailboats less than 12 feet in length.
- Government-owned boats.
- Registered boats from another state or country that are not kept in Montana for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Complete a Montana boat registration form.
- Mail it along with the fees (title, registration, fee-in-lieu of tax) to your county treasurer's office.
- Obtain two free validation decals from any Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks office, or by ordering online.
- Title: $10
- One-time registration fee for all motorboats, motorized pontoons and personal watercraft less than 16 feet in length, and sailboats at least 12 feet in length but less than 16 feet in length: $65.50.
- One-time registration fee for all motorboats, motorized pontoons and sailboats at least 16 feet in length but less than 19 feet in length, and personal watercraft 16 feet in length or longer: $125.50.
- One-time registration fee for all motorboats, motorized pontoons and sailboats at least 19 feet in length and longer: $295.50.
- $50 Fee-In-Lieu-of-Tax:
- Motorboats between 10-16 feet in length.
- Sailboats between 12-16 feet in length.
- Personal watercraft less than 16 feet in length.
- Motorized pontoon less than 16 feet.
- $110 Fee-In-Lieu-of-Tax:
- Motorboats between 16-19 feet in length.
- Sailboats between 16-19 feet in length.
- Personal watercraft 16 feet or longer.
- Motorized pontoon 16 feet or longer.
- $280 Fee-In-Lieu-of-Tax:
- Motorboats 19 feet or longer.
- Sailboats 19 feet or longer.
All boat registrations are permanent. You must, however, renew your boat's free validation decals every three years. These can be obtained, free of charge, from any Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks office or by ordering online.
Renew by Mail
Mail renewal notification to your county treasurer's office.
Renew in Person
Visit your county treasurer's office with your renewal notification.
Replace Lost Registration
Take your boat's registration number to the county treasurer. Cost: $2
Teenagers ages 13 and 14 need a valid Montana motorboat operator's safety certificate to operate a boat without adult supervision.
- Online: BoaterExam.com.
- Home study: Contact a Fish, Wildlife and Parks office or call
- Class: U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.