- Location: Mississippi
Special Licenses in Mississippi
In Mississippi, you need a commercial driver's license (CDL) to operate vehicles used for commercial reasons, including:
The type of vehicle you want to drive determines the class of CDL you need. Mississippi's commercial driver's handbook, the "Professional Driver's Handbook," explains these classes and application procedures at length. Pick one up at your local driver license location.
You must get a motorcycle endorsement on your regular Class R driver's license and be at least 17 years old to operate a motorcycle in Mississippi.
For details, and information about safety courses and helmet laws, refer to the Motorcycle License section.
Scooters and Mopeds
You need a motorcycle endorsement on your regular Class R driver's license to operate scooters and mopeds, too.
You don't need a special license or endorsement to operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in Mississippi; however, if you plan to operate an ATV on property other than your own, it's best to contact your local driver license location or law enforcement agency for details about age requirements.
Need to know about ATV titles and registration? Check out Other Types of Vehicles.Other Topics in This SectionArticles
- Especially for You: Information on Special Licenses
- Operating a Snow Mobile: Special Driver Licenses, Training, and Age Requirements
- What is a Special License, and Do You Need One?
- Driving All-Terrain Vehicles: Special Licenses, Training, and More for ATVs
- Special License Requirements: When and How to Apply for a Special License