DMV Point System in Mississippi
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Many states have a point system to penalize bad drivers. Depending on the severity of their infraction, each violation racks up points on their driving record. After accumulating so many points, these drivers risk high insurance premiums and even the suspension or loss of their driving privileges. However, in Mississippi, no such point system exists.
This does not mean that traffic violators get off scot-free. Each ticket issued to a driver goes on his/her driving record, accessible to potential employers and to the insurance company. If you fail to pay traffic tickets within the required time period, your license will be suspended. And reinstatement of the license is costly. The suspension fee alone costs $25-$100, plus you'll get slapped with a $25 reinstatement fee in addition to the cost of the ticket itself. Most likely, your insurance rates will also increase.
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver’s license, you can order a driving record report. This record will spell out if your driver’s license is currently valid. Should your license have been revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what’s on record at the DPS. This report will also show points against your license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.
Reinstating your Mississippi license is a time-consuming, multi-step process that will teach you to mind the traffic laws:
- Pay all traffic ticket fees due in all cities and counties that have been issued against your license.
- Pay the suspension fee of $25-$100 along with a $25 reinstatement fee.
- Wait for the Department of Public Safety to clear your record. You can speed things up with them by sending copies of your paid tickets and the Court Abstract to:
- Mississippi Department of Public Safety
- Attn: Driver Records
- 1900 East Woodrow Wilson
- Jackson, MS 39216
After these steps have been completed, your license will be reinstated.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- DMV Point System Basics: What Are Points and How Do I Get Rid of Them?
- The Perils of Accumulating Driving Record Points
- How Long Points Stay on Your Driving Record
- Actions That Lead to the Loss of Driving Privileges
- How to Check Your DMV Points
Instant Driving Record
Check for tickets, violations, and confirm your drivers license status with a instant self-check driving record.
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.