Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • New to Mississippi

    SUMMARY: New Mississippi Residents

    Establishing residency in Mississippi involved a few tasks, to include applying for a driver's license, registering and titling your vehicle, and completing a vehicle safety inspection. You'll need to register to vote in your new county to participate in any upcoming elections. Military members newly stationed in Mississippi may be exempt from certain requirements due to your active duty status.

    If you're new to Mississippi, this page will guide you to all the information you need to complete your MS Department of Public Safety (DPS) and Department of Revenue (DOR) transactions.

    Mississippi State Departments

    The state of Mississippi has two main departments that you'll transact with: the Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Department of Revenue (DOR).

    The MS Department of Public Safety

    The Mississippi DPS deals with driver's licenses and related services. You can visit the DPS for:

    • Driver's license application.
    • License renewal.
    • License replacement.
    • Driver manuals.

    The MS Department of Revenue

    When you need to register your car or deal with other vehicle-specific items, you'll visit the Motor Vehicle Licensing Bureau, a division of the Department of Revenue.

    The DOR will help you with the following:

    • Vehicle registration and titling.
    • License plates.
    • Disability plates and placards.
    • Motor vehicle records.
    • Vehicle title information search.

    Certain counties also offer online tag renewal. Visit the DOR website to see if you can renew online.

    Register Your Car in Mississippi

    Once you move to Mississippi, you have 30 days to register your out-of-state car with the DOR. Failure to do so could result in a $250 penalty. For more information, please refer to our Car Registration in Mississippi page.

    If you have a special vehicle, such as a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome or off-road vehicle, your registration process may be slightly different. More information can be found on our Special Vehicles page.

    Car Insurance

    Unlike many other states, the MS DOR doesn't require you to carry car insurance in order to register your vehicle to the state. Many people still opt to pay for car insurance though, as it can come in handy if you find yourself involved in an accident.

    If you'd like to compare quotes and learn more about what types of coverages are available to you, visit our Car Insurance page.

    Required Inspections

    The Mississippi DOR does not require emissions inspections, but they do require an annual safety inspection before you can renew your registration. For more details, please refer to our Car Inspections in Mississippi page.

    MS Driver's License & ID Cards

    Once you become a resident of Mississippi, you have 60 days to transfer your out-of-state driver's license over to the state. Failure to do so could result in a fine or other penalties.

    You'll need to visit your local Department of Public Safety (DPS) office in person with all the required documents and payment for your MS driver's license. You'll also need to surrender your out-of-state driver's license to the MS DPS.

    If you're a teenager and wish to obtain a MS driver's license, you must make sure that any driver training or Driver's Ed course you completed in your previous state meets the graduated driver's licensing (GDL) requirements of the MS DPS. Learn more on our Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) page.

    NOTE: If you need a commercial driver's license (CDL) in Mississippi, see our Applying for a New CDL page.

    Identification Cards

    If you don't plan on driving in the state but need a form of identification, you can apply for a Mississippi ID card from the DPS. You'll need to apply in person at a MS DPS office and pay the required ID card fee.

    Organ Donor & Voter Registration

    If you were a registered organ donor or voter in your previous state, you'll need to re-register in the state of Mississippi.

    Organ Donor Registration

    If you want to continue to be a registered organ donor, you'll need to re-register in Mississippi as each state has its own registry. If you're still unsure if you want to register, find out more on our Organ Donation page.

    Voter Registration

    If you want to be eligible to vote in the next election you'll need to make sure you're registered by the deadline date. For more information, see our guide to Voter Registration in Mississippi.

    Military Members Stationed in Mississippi

    If you're not a resident of Mississippi but here temporarily serving on active military duty, you and your family may be exempt from certain licensing and vehicle registration requirements. Find our more on our Drivers in the Military page.

    MS DMV Locations & Resources

    If you're looking for your closest Mississippi DOR or DPS office, use our handy office finder tool.

    Before you hit the road with your new MS driver's license, make sure you know all the road rules by reading the DPS manuals:

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.