Green Driver State Incentives in Mississippi
Unfortunately, Mississippi currently doesn't offer much in the way of green driver incentives for driving electric cars, hybrids, and other fuel-efficient vehicles—unless you're in the alternative fuel business (see “MS Incentives for Green Businesses" below).
However, that can change. Understand that all laws, regulations, and incentives are subject to change, so be sure to bookmark this page as well as consult the Motor Vehicle Licensing Bureau (MVL), the Alternative Fuels Data Center, and our section on green driver laws and regulations.
NOTE: Regardless of the type of vehicle you drive, ALWAYS stay on top of Mississippi's traffic laws.
Currently, Mississippi doesn't have an emissions testing program in place. So, vehicle registration and registration renewals don't require smog checks.
However, you can learn more about required vehicle inspections in our Vehicle Safety and Emissions Inspections section.
Mississippi offers the following incentives for green businesses and/or businesses going green:
- Mississippi Alternative Fuel School Bus and Municipal Motor Vehicle Revolving (AFV) Loan Program: This incentive provides loans to help fund the purchase of new alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs) and/or the infrastructure necessary to run these vehicles. Learn more at the AFDC and the Mississippi Alternative Fuel School Bus and Municipal Motor Vehicle Revolving (AFV) Loan Program website.
- Biofuels Production Incentive: Provided by the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce (Department), this incentive affords payments per gallon to qualifying Mississippi biodiesel and ethanol producers. NOTE: No payments will be made after June 30, 2015. For more information, refer to the AFDC and Mississippi Code 69-51-5.
- Propane Education and Research Program: The Mississippi Insurance Department operates the State Liquefied Compressed Gas Board, which sometimes issues grants to help Mississippi companies to research and promote more cost-effective propane uses. For more information, visit the AFDC, the Insurance Department’s Liquefied Compressed Gas section, and Mississippi Code 75-57-119.
If you own a fuel-efficient vehicle, you also might qualify for federal tax credits offered by the IRS. Eligible alternative energy vehicles include:
- Electric cars (EV.)
- Plug-in hybrids (PEV).
- Alternative fuel vehicles (AFV).
You might be able to get a car insurance discount for driving a fuel-efficient vehicle or even having green driving habits. Consult your car insurance company about potential green vehicle discounts such as:
- Hybrid auto discounts.
- Alternative fuel vehicle (AFV) discounts.
- Economy car discounts.
- Low-mileage discounts.
- Pay as you drive discounts.
Auto insurance discounts vary by provider and circumstances. For example, you might receive a 10% discount on car insurance for owning or leasing a hybrid car, while maintaining low mileage can earn you up to a 30% auto insurance discount.
If your current MS car insurance carrier doesn't reward environmentally friendly driving, find one that does. Start comparing auto insurance rates online and save some green for going green.