Green Driver State Incentives in Mississippi
Unfortunately, Mississippi currently doesn't offer much in the way of green driver incentives for driving electric cars, hybrids, and other fuel-efficient vehicles—unless you're in the alternative fuel business (see “MS Incentives for Green Businesses" below).
However, that can change. Understand that all laws, regulations, and incentives are subject to change, so be sure to bookmark this page as well as consult the Mississippi Motor Vehicle Licensing Bureau, the Alternative Fuels Data Center, and our section on green driver laws and regulations.
NOTE: Regardless of the type of vehicle you drive, ALWAYS stay on top of Mississippi's traffic laws.
Mississippi Emission Testing and Smog Checks
Currently, Mississippi doesn't have an emissions testing program in place. So, vehicle registration and registration renewals don't require smog checks.
However, you can learn more about required vehicle inspections in our Vehicle Safety and Emissions Inspections section.
MS Incentives for Green Businesses
Mississippi offers the following incentives for green businesses and/or businesses going green:
- Mississippi Alternative Fuel School Bus and Municipal Motor Vehicle Revolving (AFV) Loan Program: This incentive provides loans to help fund the purchase of new alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs) and/or the infrastructure necessary to run these vehicles. Learn more at the AFDC and the Mississippi Alternative Fuel School Bus and Municipal Motor Vehicle Revolving (AFV) Loan Program website.
- Biofuels Production Incentive: Provided by the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce (Department), this incentive affords payments per gallon to qualifying Mississippi biodiesel and ethanol producers. NOTE: No payments will be made after June 30, 2015. For more information, refer to the AFDC and Mississippi Code 69-51-5. This incentive is no longer offered. Please check the AFDC website for new incentives.
- Propane Education and Research Program: The Mississippi Insurance Department operates the State Liquefied Compressed Gas Board, which sometimes issues grants to help Mississippi companies to research and promote more cost-effective propane uses. For more information, visit the AFDC, the Insurance Department’s Liquefied Compressed Gas section, and Mississippi Code 75-57-119.
Federal Tax Credits for Owners of Fuel-Efficient Vehicles
If you own a fuel-efficient vehicle, you also might qualify for federal tax credits offered by the IRS. Eligible alternative energy vehicles include:
- Electric cars (EV.)
- Plug-in hybrids (PEV).
- Alternative fuel vehicles (AFV).
Auto Insurance Discounts for Eco-Friendly Driving and Green Vehicles
You might be able to get a car insurance discount for driving a fuel-efficient vehicle or even having green driving habits. Consult your car insurance company about potential green vehicle discounts such as:
- Low-mileage discounts.
- Hybrid auto discounts.
- Pay as you drive discounts
- Alternative fuel vehicle (AFV) discounts.
- Economy car discounts.
Auto insurance discounts can really add up. You might receive an up to 10% discount for leasing or owning a hybrid car. If you keep the mileage low you can add another discount on top.
If your current MS car insurance carrier doesn't reward environmentally friendly driving, find one that does. Start comparing auto insurance rates online.